A $2,500 Muliple Choice Question:

E. None of the above. I really have all the stuff I need in life, and more, and trinkets do not amuse me. I just hope to continue enjoying life in retirement and having fun with friends and loved ones. But, if somebody has a deal I can't refuse, please, please let me know!

Re: A--I broke into the dirt world in the '50's, running heavy equipment such as diesel shovel, bulldozer, backhoe/loader. Had a Case 530 CK. For $2500 you won't get anything worthwhile.

Re: B--$2500 for lathe, mill and surface grinder is also bottom feeding (I know--got my lathe and mill for $2k). You'd be much better off buying just 1 quality machine, in good condition, and with a comprehensive tooling package.

Don't squander your money away bottom feeding. Hold off for quality and get something you'll be proud of.

Don't squander your money away bottom feeding. Hold off for quality and get something you'll be proud of.

Actually the things I'm most proud of in life are the things I've either built from scratch myself, or have rebuilt from junk that would have otherwise been trashed.

Think about. If I show off an antique lathe that I rebuilt everyone will be looking at it with ooo's and awe's saying, "Man you did a good job on that lathe".

If I show them a nice lathe that I had just gone out and bought, they'd say, "So what are you going to build with that?"

In the first case it's an achievement. In the second case it's just another tool. :grin:

I should go join a nursing home and just lay around in bed all day talking to the nurses. That'll keep me out of trouble.

Or .................................get you into MORE trouble . ;)

Look for a 4x4 backhoe and a smaller lathe...the mill looks rusty, the surface grinder I am not sure. I have good dealed my self to broke several times, I am starting to sell off a few projects now...

E. None of the above. I really have all the stuff I need in life, and more, and trinkets do not amuse me. I just hope to continue enjoying life in retirement and having fun with friends and loved ones. But, if somebody has a deal I can't refuse, please, please let me know!

I totally agree with your idea of enjoying life with friends and loved ones. That's the best thing in life to be sure. Unfortunately it's also something that money can't buy. All my friends and loved ones have already gone to the great beyond. And it's really quite difficult to replace them. So yeah, as long as you have that option available to you consider yourself very lucky indeed.

Some of us have nothing left but cold hard metal to befriend. :grin:

It's quite difficult in this day and age to find good friends if you don't already have them. Most of my friends today are nothing more than avatars on the Internet. Or they are you tubers who's videos I watch a lot, but who don't even know that I exist. Kind of a one-way type of friendship, if you will. None the less, I appreciate them creating their videos and sharing what they do. Those are the extent of my friends.

I used to have two really cool cats, but both of them kicked the bucket recently too. Now all I have left is a bunch of gold fish in aquariums. Strangely even they are better than being all alone. But let's face it, they don't talk much.

So my tools and projects are the only "best friends and loved ones" I have left.

I do have a few living friends, but they live hundreds of miles away. We keep in touch via phone calls. It's better than having no friends at all. But what are you going to do after you hang up the phone? Tools and projects are all that's left after that. It's either that or sit around listening to the rocking chair squeak.

I'm going with Choice D. Do you know how many beers $2500 will buy? Me neither, but I intend to find out.

Tom

I totally agree with your idea of enjoying life with friends and loved ones. That's the best thing in life to be sure. Unfortunately it's also something that money can't buy. All my friends and loved ones have already gone to the great beyond. And it's really quite difficult to replace them. So yeah, as long as you have that option available to you consider yourself very lucky indeed.

Some of us have nothing left but cold hard metal to befriend. :grin:

It's quite difficult in this day and age to find good friends if you don't already have them. Most of my friends today are nothing more than avatars on the Internet. Or they are you tubers who's videos I watch a lot, but who don't even know that I exist. Kind of a one-way type of friendship, if you will. None the less, I appreciate them creating their videos and sharing what they do. Those are the extent of my friends.

I used to have two really cool cats, but both of them kicked the bucket recently too. Now all I have left is a bunch of gold fish in aquariums. Strangely even they are better than being all alone. But let's face it, they don't talk much.

So my tools and projects are the only "best friends and loved ones" I have left.

I do have a few living friends, but they live hundreds of miles away. We keep in touch via phone calls. It's better than having no friends at all. But what are you going to do after you hang up the phone? Tools and projects are all that's left after that. It's either that or sit around listening to the rocking chair squeak.
Just with our 'local' machining group I have 30 friends, friends that I get together with regularly and have common interests with. Today I spent several hours in the shop of a machinist friend in our local group, who is also a member of Hobby Machinist. We had a great time talking about some vintage tools he had picked up, and also talked about how he is approaching the latest work that he is doing these days in his shop. We both helped each other learn while we talked, and got excited about it.

Machining does NOT need to be a sport for hermits! Besides sharing knowledge and techniques about all the sub parts of machining, like concepts, design, materials, machinery, and physically making the parts, there is also the joy and fulfillment of success and expanding our horizons, and having others to help us out when we are confused, concerned, or scared and clueless, or just needing physical help to move something heavy, can be really useful to help us mature as well as building community among us. We do this on H-M, and we also do it with our local friends and mentors.

I started in machining all alone, by myself, and being a believer in chasing knowledge, I searched for information and knowledge everywhere I could, mostly these days on the internet. There is tons of good stuff there, some not so good information, and it was (and still can be) difficult to know and understand the differences by myself. It can also be scary and dangerous sometimes. Machining, fabricating, welding, casting, forging, etc., can all be really dangerous without well understood and proper knowledge. And well understood knowledge sometimes requires help to get the concepts across clearly to us. That seems to best be done in person, with back and forth and approaching it from different directions until a mutual understanding is reached. It is really nice to have a teacher, even if he or she is usually thought of as a buddy. It is even better to have many teachers, and to teach others yourself -- as friends.

All this is a lot of WORDS for saying we all need help, support, friends -- we all need each other to make life (and machining) as good as it can be. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step -- take that step...

All this is a lot of WORDS for saying we all need help, support, friends -- we all need each other to make life (and machining) as good as it can be. A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step -- take that step...

I'm already here. :grin:

Back