A Bicentenial restoration/rescue - '76 RD400

Well, of course there was a fuel leak - but this one was a leaky float bowl drain. Fixed that and she seems leak tight now. Verified by putting a clean paper towel under the carbs and coming back later with the lights out, checking with a UV lamp. All clean. Then, took her out for about seven miles through the valley loop. Running great! I will increase the distances to break in the new rings revving up and down and not holding one RPM for long. Plan to ride her around 40 miles round trip Tuesday to show her off to my mates at the Time Warp Tea Room.
10b6d63b4799f50737298a11c174aee9.jpg

That looks fantastic, well done sir!

Couldn't be more pleased. One-kick starting, quick warm-up to choke off, plenty of power. Just like I remember my original one bought new.
0b06a0b5d52132f7236cb31170b715d3.jpg
Thats so awesome! I miss my RD350. I had that bike back in the 90's. I remember that 1st and 2nd gear were insane. It kind of fell on its face after that, but by then you were doing about 70mph.

Great job. Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. What kind of tea are we talking here. Cheers, Mike

Wow, that's beautiful! So well done :)

Thanks, guys. You know, I seldom see folks drinking tea there. Great coffee, smoothies, chilli with a tamale in it, hot dogs and croissant sandwiches. All based around old motorcycles. Dan has only had it open on Tuesdays for the old bike crowd for the last year. Don't know if it will go back to normal operation soon or not. The street and sidewalk fill with bikes of all ages on Tuesdays. A great gathering place for those of us that appreciate the older (and newer) machines and don't require alcohol to enjoy themselves.
1dde0aa2aa3969bc0f2e86013e24d8cd.jpg

Last edited:
Back