A bit lucky.

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
Finally made an arbor for my slitting saw to continue on my indicator stand build. Also finally got my lathe running like a top again, big thanks to markba633csi, playing with depth of cuts, manages to happily make a .200" cut and the saw didn't skip a beat, nor are there any teeth missing or messed up. Great!
IMG_20180406_082753.jpg

Did the whole operation with the column unlocked... :oops:

IMG_20180406_082759.jpg

The only reason I noticed is when I shut the motor off and pushed the brake, the head swiveled. Hahaha. That could have been bad.
Also, made me start to question my .200" cut....

Don't worry, you're not alone. I've been there! It takes mental focus and discipline to remember to lock the gibs, etc. of the machine when making cuts. Almost worse is forgetting to unlock and going to power feed! :eek: That will get your attention!

I locked the gibs every single cut during this.

Where I forgot was I unlocked the column to swing the head over to tighten the cap screw on the saw with a wrench and the vise was in the way. Easier and faster to swing the head than move the table.
Then I took the arbor out because I stripped the head of the crappy cap screw. In all that mess dealing with the cap screw I forgot about the column.
Funny, I must have had to swing the head back over the vise to line it up. Wasn't that far over, but would have been enough. And I still forgot. My habbit must be tied to raising and lowering the head. Because I, myself, was out of sequence, was where I forgot. Good thing I wasn't using an endmill or a facemill, or worse, doing a climb cut. Yikes.

I locked the gibs every single cut during this.

Where I forgot was I unlocked the column to swing the head over to tighten the cap screw on the saw with a wrench and the vise was in the way. Easier and faster to swing the head than move the table.
Then I took the arbor out because I stripped the head of the crappy cap screw. In all that mess dealing with the cap screw I forgot about the column.
Funny, I must have had to swing the head back over the vise to line it up. Wasn't that far over, but would have been enough. And I still forgot. My habbit must be tied to raising and lowering the head. Because I, myself, was out of sequence, was where I forgot. Good thing I wasn't using an endmill or a facemill, or worse, doing a climb cut. Yikes.
That would have woken you up for sure. Could have been a disaster. We don't want to, but we learn from making mistakes,sometimes at the cost of a mill.........or a finger :eek::eek:

Back