A Brain Fart

Now that's beginning to look like an obsession.;)
Looks aren't deceiving ;) . It didn't start out that way, trust me! I have HF carts at both lathes and started with a 0-3" set at the Grizzly G0709 14" x 40". Grizzly at the time had a pretty good price (<$80) for 0.1" - 1.2" (or whatever the top end is) and 1" - 2" inside mics so those were added. I had import 0-1" & 1"-2" screw pitch standard mics at the Grizzly, and upgraded to digital as decent prices showed up on eBay. Well, my Clausing 5418 12" x 24" felt neglected, so it got the same upgrades. Then it spilled over to my Bridgeport and Tormach mills. Then, of course, I've "got" to have a set at my work bench!

They were all purchased off eBay (except for the inside mics, those were new from Grizzly) for a pretty good price. I'm pretty sure I didn't pay over $80 for any of the 0-3" sets, usually under $60. The 0-6" & 6-12" interchangeable anvil Fowler's were under $100. The screw pitch Fowler EZ-Read's were under $70 each.

My wife got me an apropos T-shirt a few years ago that reads, "Patience is a virtue, it's just not one of MY virtue's". However, I showed "pretty good" patience when outfitting the shop. I can read a regular mic, just prefer the mechanical digitals. I just toughed it out until a good price came my way. Oh, should I post photos of the electronic digital ones too ;).

Bruce

What happens here is ..
"Thinks .. mics are small things. Not a problem" @BGHansen style enviable collection gets pride of place.
Then the top drawer on the roll-around fills up, so stuff gets "reorganized" to let the next drawer also be used.
Displacement reality forces some bigger stuff from lowest drawer to become a trip hazard, so ..
A re-evaluation of shop space begins with a view to additional storage.. :grin:

Last edited:
A re-evaluation of shop space begins with a view to additional storage.. :grin:
Too true.
Next problem: where did I relocate it to? Can't remember! No more room in the lathe roll around so had to put it ... In the used less often shelf cabinet, but only the bottom shelf had space ... can't see there unless I get down on my creaky knees ... Time to shuffle that cabinet ... But I'd rather be making or better finishing a project ... Maybe tomorrow! ... All that thinking wore me out, time to take a break and look at the joke posts.
PS: I have 3 roll-arounds, that complicates keeping track!

Yeah - I admit it kinda got out of hand to that extent! :(
I wasn't pointing fingers..... glass houses and such.....
Currently there are two "pinch points" where I can only walk thru sideways.
Even some small things are still in boxes until I can find an empty spot for them to live.

I am at a point where the shop is so full I need to either build bigger, or sell some machines, or stop bringing new things in.
I can't see either of the last two happening, so I need to reconsider the first.

I do not yet have all the tools I want for my "retirement shop", there are so many interesting materials, machines and operations....

Brian

Last edited:
Currently there are two "pinch points" where I can only walk thru sideways.
This situation can be alleviated in a couple of ways, one of them being to build bigger.
The other? Well that involves dimensional changes you are not gonna like! :(

I do not yet have all the tools I want for my "retirement shop", there are so many interesting materials, machines and operations....
I am somewhat in the same situation in my outbuilding. There are a couple of things I still want, although in my modest space, with bandsaw, small mill, pillar drill, lathe, bench and tools drawers roll-about, then there is perhaps space for only one or two more, and that's it!

Right now, there are some items temporarily in "my space". I will evict them back to the garage, at the right time, when building changes are complete. I mean stuff like mower, twigs chipper and suchlike gardening crap!
Although not at all crap, the planer/thicknesser/jointer can also move out. Woodwork will always be happening, but not in this space!

Presently, I am playing "musical machines". Everything heavy is on the max load version "ShopFox" wheel frames. This is moving everything to one side at a high packing fraction, to clear the space to lay in the oak engineered flooring, then move all onto the completed half, so as to enable installing the remainder. The picture is from when just getting going. Along the way, I dumped a whole lot of junk. The end scene will not be "minimalist", but it will be way tidier. A sort of "social space with some amenities and a view", and the machines I want around me.

Flooring#1.jpg

Last edited:
Storage is the source of my clutter.

Stumble on an older snap on over and something else upper for 50 bucks, cannot leave it there.

Find other good shelves or simplicity pattern files for good price, they come home.

So one cleans up an area and fills the cabinet only to then have an empty spot...

Allows for one to not have a reason to bring home the next interesting thing.

Spreadsheet with over 1500 lines of information of where things are placed with a database under construction to do same.

Organized clutter...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back