A Brass Alarm Clock.

B

BRIAN

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am about to start my next winter project The brass alarm clock from J Wildings book.

I have a new helper in the shop A 11 year old boy Who has zero workshop knowledge.
He will be folowing me step by step building one for himself, so life should be very interesing??

I will post our progress as we go along

His father thinks the money is better spent on brass, than on the Play station.---- I vote for that----

BRIAN

img100.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Turbo
The only way i know to get plans for this clock is to by the book
look up Ian T Cob he has a great range of books and plans.

BRIAN

WORK HAS STARTED . #@clap2@&

First a word on how I am aproching this.If we have multiples of the same part "Andrea"my helper? will see one that has been made. then he will watch while I make one. then he can make the number he requires under supervision.
So far he has worked 5 hrs this is the result so far P1011313.JPG P1011314.JPG P1011323.JPG P1011324.JPG

Attachments

• P1011327.JPG
    P1011327.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 158
GOT it wrong again this is Andrea's work. One day I will fid out how to work this b---- computer. ::ban him::

P1011325.JPG

9 hrs in and Andrea has made the pillars. This involved using the lathe, the spigots were turned by having a stop on the carriage to set the length, and then turned down to the required diameter, this involved the use of the micrometer, the readings were written down on the steel bench to ensure that the numbers were correct and the next setting decided upon.

P1011329.JPG P1011332.JPG

Attachments

• P1011328.JPG
    P1011328.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 80
Brian, it sure is nice to see a younger one interested in making things. Too many are just playing around, and learning nothing of real value. I applaud you for taking the time to nurture this interest.

Also glad to see safety glasses being worn. Nothing takes the fun out of machine work than having to dig a chip out of an eye.

Keep up the great work. It looks like you are a good teacher.

Brian,

Where did you get the John Wilding book for your alarm clock? I've been searching for his book on building an English Regulator for some time with no avail. I can get one in the U.K. for an exorbitant amount of cash, but nothing here in the U.S.

Tom

Hi tom

Try www.iancob.co.uk A good supplier of books and materials, normaly he has most books in stock

If you have any problems feel free to see if I can help.

Regards Brian.

Thanks Brian.

I actually priced the book from that site a couple years ago and it was $60 plus shipping. Now, the British pound appears to be way down compared to the dollar and the price is $45 plus shipping. That's still pretty pricey for a 100 page paper back book. Clocktools.com used to sell them over here, but the prices got too high and they are selling off the remainder of their stock.

I did place an order today for [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"Wheel and Pinion Cutting in Horology: A Historical Guide"[/SIZE][/FONT] by Wild. It looks to be pretty thorough and covers making your own cycloidal gear cutters. Interestingly, Amazon U.K. had the cheapest price and shipping was only $3.99. I don't get it. :thinking:

Tom

Hi Tom

Yeh I find it steep to, and for some reason it costs more to post to Sicly, than to the USA, and I have to pay20% VAT on top.

but so far I have been lucky Father Christmas.has provided all I require.So keep the faith, and ring Rudolph!!!

Most of Wildings books are re hashed articals from M.E or the Horological journal.
if you can find them. It just may be a way.

Regards Brian.

Back