A Cart For A Band Saw

silence dogood

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this Wilton 3o61 horizontal band saw. It's a 3x6" and uses a 52 1/2" blade. Anyway it was supported by 4 pipes which made it difficult to move around. Sometime ago when my wife worked for the food service at the high school, she came home with this broken food cart. :excitement: Idea. Tore the cart down. Nut and bolt it back together. Added the blue end panels for strength. One end panel was made out of a defunct microwave cabinet and the other a defunct washing machine. The four pipes were turned from 1"galvenized pipe and painted blue. The push bar came from a broken pick ax handle. Must say,saw much nicer to use. If anyone has any info on this saw, I'd sure appreciate it.
DSC01762.JPG

Thanks Mark. Last month, I called Wilton and was able to talk to a very nice lady about this band saw. She sent me an email back . In it she was able to get into the archives and found a paper written about 1980 that the parts and manuals for certain band saws ( including mine) were no longer available:cry:. So if anyone has any info on a Wilton model 3061 band saw, I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm guessing that's the same Wilton that made vises? I wouldn't worry too much about parts, worst case you might need to rebuild the gearbox someday, but suitable gears could probably be found or adapted.
And the bearings are probably standard sizes, easy to get.
I'm rebuilding an old Taiwan bandsaw from the 70s, strangely it has all american sizes of fasteners, metric NTN ball bearings, and the worm gears were OEM'd from Boston Gear!
Mark S.

You are right, Mark. I can get by without a manual, it just makes it a little easier. And it works just great. Heck, I just turned down repairing a Story & Clark electronic organ for a church (besides I don't do that any more). The last one was made in 1971 and if memory serves me right, it used RTL ICs. And those chips are impossible to get even in the 1980s. P.S. send some pictures on that band saw of yours.

This is off-topic, but I remember resistor-transistor (RTL) logic chips well. They were hot and slow. But I built an electronic music machine using them once, from an article in Popular Electronics, a Don Lancaster design if I recall. I think I loaned it to someone and it overheated, then I stripped it for parts. My friend and I always talked about making a TTL version but life got in the way. My church (I'm a skeptical Christian) has an old Italian-made electronic organ that I wanted to look inside of- they don't use it so it must be broken...but we moved to a new building so I probably won't get a chance to.
I will post some pics of this saw soon, it's slowly going back together, should be a little quicker now that the weather is improving.
Cheers,
Mark S.

Last edited:
Back