A case for Armstrong/Williams style toolholders.

I have a lantern type tool holder on my 12X37, along with a 4-way and an AXA QCTP.

4-way: I have tooled the 4 way for normal turning, parting and facing without any shims or mods. For insert tooling, it is much faster than QCTP, but limited to the three basic functions. I use it surprisingly often. (I suppose I could put a chamfer tool in the 4th position, but never got around to it) this is also the most rigid of the three tool holders.

AXA QCTP: I only bought it last year after over 30 years of machining. I had heard bad things about QCTP from my mentor (he still only has 4 way). All the things were untrue biases. That being said, I find QCTP enjoyable and functional. If I had only one system, AXA QCTP would be it.

Lantern: This is the black sheep, but surprisingly I come back to this quite often. I am in the process of upgrading my lathe, and will miss this versatile (but flimsy) tool holder!! It is boss for home ground 1/4" HSS turning tools, and lets me reach around things the others can't. When I upgrade, I will be sure to find a way to put a lantern tool post on the new lathe. BTW my parting tool in the lantern mount is just as secure as my AXA, go figure (!!). (that is, it chatters very little on normal parting)
I have broken a lot of parting tools with the round rocker tool post, but cured the problem by making a solid ring under the parting tool that held it at the proper height; no more problem, no more breakage.

Setting the height of the parting tool is easiest if you make a gauge to do it. Since I made my gauge, I haven't had any problems with parting.

I have a KDK size 0 toolpost on my SB Heavy 10. I love it. I have made extra holders for it from blocks of Cold rolled steel.
I don't have a knurling tool for that tool post so I drag out the lantern tool post for that. I have also used it when I needed to turn the of a 10 inch diameter disc. It was easier to get a tool into place with the lantern. The other place I would probably use a lantern post is with the follower rest.
Ideally, you would have the cutting edge just to the tailstock side of the follow rest jaws. The KDK puts the cutting edge a good 1 inch to the left of the follow rest.

I use an Aloris QCTP. I also have a lantern set-up somewhere, but have not seen the thing in decades. If I found it, I would probably sell it, I have absolutely no need for it.

I have a KDK size 0 toolpost on my SB Heavy 10. I love it. I have made extra holders for it from blocks of Cold rolled steel.
I don't have a knurling tool for that tool post so I drag out the lantern tool post for that. I have also used it when I needed to turn the of a 10 inch diameter disc. It was easier to get a tool into place with the lantern. The other place I would probably use a lantern post is with the follower rest.
Ideally, you would have the cutting edge just to the tailstock side of the follow rest jaws. The KDK puts the cutting edge a good 1 inch to the left of the follow rest.
Your comment about the QC tool holders not lining up with the lathe's follow rest is quite valid; I have found that I could turn my Aloris block 90 degrees around clockwise to place a tool holder in a position to line up with the follow rest, but its bulk and the bulk of the holders make it a bit difficult to do the work with adequate sight lines and being able to get very close to the chuck; I've done it, but it is not real handy, the Armstrong (or Williams, or Clark) holders would be more convenient for that sort of work.

Same here. Switched over to an Aloris years ago. But I've got a nice boxed set of Armstrong holders. Will always keep it for those strange set-ups or hard to reach spots. You just never know what will come thru the shop. I also have a 4-way but have never used it.

A newby here with respect to 4 way tool holder and absolutely no aloris exposure. My Enco 1440 lathe came with a 4 way and am learning (steady by jerks) how to use it. Working close to the chuck creates a few minutes delay in setting up, just used to the lantern post I guess. I store my Armstrong tool holders in an approximate 7" x 7" x 1.5" space in a drawer. Don't think I can do that with aloris equipment and space in my shop is somewhat at a premium. I do try to keep the set-up as close to the lantern post and no overhang on the cross slide if possible.
Have a good day
Ray

I built a QCT holder out of a 2×4 and some 1/4" plywood.
Every 2 inches on the 2×4 I dadoed a slot to hold a 1.7*2 piece of 1/4.
I sawed a 15º angle on its base and mounted it on the back protector of the lathe with a couple of #6 wood screws.
This actually saves space in my shop and saves time, too.
It has room for 21 QC tool holders in arms reach of the saddle.

Mitch
Appreciate the storage information, will check out the clearances the next trip to the shop. I have rod storage (4" pvc pipe split lengthwise) behind my Clausing lathe. Your idea may work on the Enco. Thanks
Have a good day
Ray

Back