A couple specialty tools

SENC

Active User
Registered
I'm working on an old british car (69 Lotus Elan), and while not required a couple specialty tools would be helpful. The first is a hub puller - for a variety of reasons off the shelf pullers are much more of a challenge and often unsuccessful for these little cars. The second is a tool/jig for pressing bushings into their mounts on a sway bar. The good news is that someone has designed and published some simple tools, which I've attached. These were published by Brian Buckland in his shop manual companion book specifically for the purpose of elan owners using them to make the tools (so no copywrite or trademark concerns).

I don't have the time or experience to make these, nor do I have a sense of the time/expense required, so I'm interested in whether any of you might consider making them for me - or even offering some guidance on approximate cost I might expect to pay a local machine shop to create them for me.

Thanks in advance,
Henry

Attachments

• HubPuller-SwayBarBushTool.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 300
That puller will do the job. Studebaker affectionados use it to remove the rear hubs of their cars, initially torqued to in excess of 175 Ft lbs. You'll need a hefty plate drilled for your bolt circle, with 1/2 - 20 screws for the three legs to pull on. also, do not remove the nut from the axle l(leave it loose) until the hub is free, otherwise you might have been chased by a flying hub/puller combination. They seem to come unstuck all at once.

Thanks, with an adaptor plate that may very well work. Will grab a few measurements this evening. Open to ideas for the bush-setter, too.

Back