A Criterion Vise for my Sherline Mill

mckay3d

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After hitching up the little 1 1/2" Hermann Schmidt vise to my Sherline mill I dug out the Criterion vise I have had for a while and decided to make it useable on the Sherline. I made a couple of hold down strips from some aluminum angle, drilled holes and used Sherline tee nuts to hold the vise. Pretty easy but I did spend some time in lining up the vise...
Now, do I really need to be able to use the little 1" vise on the mill? Maybe...

Crit1.jpg Crit4.jpg Crit2.jpg Crit3.jpg

That little 1" vise will come in handy at times. You can hold something in the 1" vise and clamp the small vise in the larger vise. Sometimes its the easiest way to hold a small workpiece or orient it at an angle.

Here is a possibly helpful hint. In small vises like that, I clamp a 6" parallel in the vise and indicate off of that to align it to the mill.

Here is a possibly helpful hint. In small vises like that, I clamp a 6" parallel in the vise and indicate off of that to align it to the mill.

Now that is an excellent suggestion! And I will use it to align my vises. (To bad it won't help my vices!)
Thanks... Maurice

Back