A degree wheel for the Atlas/Craftsman 6X18

Steve,

The Craftsman 101.21400 is identical except for badge and nameplate to the Atlas 618. The Craftsman 101.07301 is mostly the same. Differences are the headstock (casting) and bearings, belt cover, spindle and two of the items on it, and the countershaft bracket. Early 618's had the same bracket. Between 1943 and 1945, it was apparently changed on the 618's but not on the 101.07301's. I may have missed one or two items but think that's all.

For a generic all-inclusive term, I think Atlas/Craftsman 6". That would include the Atlas 612 and the two armature lathes as well as the MK2 and all of the Atlas built Craftsman machines, but not the AA ones. If the widget would also be usable on the AA's, the Atlas/Craftsman & AA 6".

Robert D.

Am I correct in understanding that, aside from the sleeve-bearing headstock and 1"-8TPI spindle, that everything else is Atlas and Craftsman identical and interchangeable? If so, then many of my future project topics would most likely apply equally to both.

So, what would be the appropriate moniker to use here for this group of machines?
Atlas/Craftsman 6x18, Atlas/Craftsman 6-inch, other???

A great and usefull attachment! I look forward to your other posts.

Steve, It looks real good, but am I'm missing something somewhere where you can lock the spindle at any given degree to ensure that it doesn't move like a true drilled/pinned index plate? Or, is this for reference only.

Everyone, thanks so much for the positive responses. That makes threads like this so worthwhile. I'm sort of a function-over-form type, so these things won't look pretty, and will probably look amateurish, but should provide ideas. Having a degree wheel is handier than I first expected, kinda like putting a GPS gadget in your car. I can't drive now, without turning the contraption ON.

At the time, the immediate need was for a chuck scroll accurizing project, which will be a future thread. Since then, this degree wheel has become like another instrument in the dash panel, another item in the visual scan. Kinda influences your thinking while machining. You DRO users probably get this.

I use it mostly for reference, like when adjusting runout, or to straighten small diameter rods, or marking a piece for other machining, and such. After a while, you just kinda get dependant on it. It opens the door to new thinking.

Fabrickator, the bull gear has 60 holes and a locking pin for simple indexing. And, the spindle bushings are adjustable for spindle drag. So, I'll use these depending on what I'm flogging.

For example, while making a compensator for my target pistol, I needed to control the machining of slots and ovalled ports. Having the Dremel grinder setup vertically in the milling attachment, I could hog-out ports by hand by swivelling the tommybar chuck a specific angle, like the way you'd use a ball-turning adapter. Another future thread.

I noticed that Sherline offers a custom 'graduated dial' fabrication service, but in minimum order runs of 200. These things sure look nice. Kinda gives ya ideas:

redparts.jpg blkparts.jpg

What program did you print the degree markings with. On my old computer I could have done it in Corel, but this new one doesn't have anything worth while on it.

Mark

The paper strip is purposely wider than the wheel. It's carefully cut along the border, then glued to the wheel with the chuck side of the wheel down on a flat surface, to guide the paper strip so that the right edge is aligned. This ensures that the numbers will remain visible and be properly positioned.

I aligned the 0° part of the paper strip over the grub screw hole. The paper has to be carved away from the hole, and it looks like a zero, easy to find.

After the glue has set, the excess paper is trimmed with an Xacto knife, through the degree marking lines, along the wheel edge. Then a couple coats of chemical resistant clear is painted over it.

When done, it should look like this (but much cleaner).

View attachment 87153

Ignore the two extra holes. This was made from a piece of scrap...

Hey, Mark. That was done on an old '90s DOS-based shareware CAD program, Tango. I had planned to post a .jpg of the drawing, so that members could download it, and print it with appropriate scaling. Unfortunately, that old machine is long gone.

Nowadays, I use Intergraph's SmartSketch, recommended by a friend who worked there. It has the features I like without the trappings of constant upgrades. I've used it to post similar graduated scales, like the attached, but never received feedback if members use them, so I'm not sure if it's helpful...

XS650 Clutch Guage.jpg

Hey, Mark. That was done on an old '90s DOS-based shareware CAD program, Tango. I had planned to post a .jpg of the drawing, so that members could download it, and print it with appropriate scaling. Unfortunately, that old machine is long gone.

Nowadays, I use Intergraph's SmartSketch, recommended by a friend who worked there. It has the features I like without the trappings of constant upgrades. I've used it to post similar graduated scales, like the attached, but never received feedback if members use them, so I'm not sure if it's helpful...

I would use it. I hate to have to download software and learn to use it just for one project and I sure won't buy software for this one project. I intend to make one of these and adapt it to my south bend lathe and I want it as big as I can go which is up to 6" in diameter. I am going to fasten it to the rear of the chuck. I do a lot of indexing on my lathe but the method I use is poor at best. I think this thing is great. Just have to work out drawing it.

Mark Frazier

Wow, 6" diameter? That'll take an 18" strip. I think the largest you can get on an inkjet printer is just under 10.5", maybe 12" if it's printed diagonally. That cuts you down to a 3 1/4" - 4" diameter. Sounds like a job for Kinko's...

Wow, 6" diameter? That'll take an 18" strip. I think the largest you can get on an inkjet printer is just under 10.5", maybe 12" if it's printed diagonally. That cuts you down to a 3 1/4" - 4" diameter. Sounds like a job for Kinko's...

I'd settle for what I can print on a legal page (13")

Mark

Back