A degree wheel for the Atlas/Craftsman 6X18

Okay, I'll draw up a couple of marking strips, one for each direction, and post it here when I'm done. In the meantime, I suppose one option would be to use a simple tape measure.

If you took an 'inch' tape measure, marked in 1/16" increments, you could cut out maybe a 1/4" wide strip of the edge that has the individual markings. Then, at 1/16" per degree mark, that'll be 360/16 = 22.5" for the circumference, which would wrap around a 7.16" diameter wheel.

TapeMeasureInch.jpg

Or, use a metric tape measure, with 1mm per degree, that'll be 360mm (14.173") for the circumference, which would wrap around a 4.51" diameter wheel. You could even leave the numeral markings on it (which would be in centimeters), and add a 'zero' to each number.

TapeMeasureMetric01.jpg

TapeMeasureMetric02.jpg

Or, you could get some automotive adhesive-backed pin-striping tape, and meticulously mark each 0.050", which would give you a 18" strip for the circumference, which would wrap around a 5.73" diameter wheel. Or find some with preprinted markings.

MagnaTag-TPcover.jpg

TapeMeasureInch.jpg TapeMeasureMetric01.jpg TapeMeasureMetric02.jpg MagnaTag-TPcover.jpg

If you can't do the scale big enough on one sheet of paper make it in parts .

Decide the diameter you'd like for the indicator disk/wheel ( it may well be slightly different at the end of the exercise ) .

Then use Pi times Diameter = circumference . Pi being 3.142 or 22/7 to five or more places if you feel like it .

Adjust the diameter so the circumference is exactly divisible by 360 so you can design a scale in degrees . Make it so you can clearly identify one division per degree .Turn you disk to the exact diameter needed . ( check your figures a couple of times )

Use eXcel of similar to make & print off on two exact scales with numbering and bigger marks at the five & ten degree points . make the scales in 180 degrees or three of 120 degrees or four of 90 degrees , glue & tape them in carefully place on the disk or use a big heat shrink band etc etc. .

Okay, I'll draw up a couple of marking strips, one for each direction, and post it here when I'm done. In the meantime, I suppose one option would be to use a simple tape measure.

If you took an 'inch' tape measure, marked in 1/16" increments, you could cut out maybe a 1/4" wide strip of the edge that has the individual markings. Then, at 1/16" per degree mark, that'll be 360/16 = 22.5" for the circumference, which would wrap around a 7.16" diameter wheel.

View attachment 87461

Or, use a metric tape measure, with 1mm per degree, that'll be 360mm (14.173") for the circumference, which would wrap around a 4.51" diameter wheel. You could even leave the numeral markings on it (which would be in centimeters), and add a 'zero' to each number.

View attachment 87462

View attachment 87463

Or, you could get some automotive adhesive-backed pin-striping tape, and meticulously mark each 0.050", which would give you a 18" strip for the circumference, which would wrap around a 5.73" diameter wheel. Or find some with preprinted markings.

View attachment 87464

Take care with plastic paper or surveyors flat steel tapes etc they might been made in China or India etc and leave a lot to be desired wrt. accuracy . Self adhesiv tapes tend to stretch how ever there are some failry accurate wood working device adhesive strip measures that might be useable as they tend to be on a strong plastic metalized backing .

I'll have a look on line for the sort of thing I'm thinking of . An 18 cm long one would be a bit of a small indicator disk but several could be a whole new ball game

eBay item 111483477188 is a Starret metal flat tape in imperial & metric which are usually fairly accurate at 60 o F

So 360 mm .... 36 cm in divisions of one five & ten making 360 millimetres ) being a circle in degrees sounds ideal

3.14258 pi to 5 places x 114.52 mm diameter =359.91918 decrees or as near as dammit 36 centimeter

114.52 mm / 25.4 = inches diameter = 4.5087 inches to five places

Last edited:
22/7 is an approximation. Pi to five places is 3.14159

Robert D.

Wow..... this is fascinating. I been racking my brain trying to get this stupid computer to scale me a drawing or even make one and can't do it for some reason.:eek:uch::whiteflag: ( well, could be i ain't smart enough. I get dumber as I get older.). Maybe I can work with some of these suggestions. thanks guys.

Mark Frazier

I don't really care about the diameter. I just want it as large as I can which is between 4 and 6 inches somewhere and I want it to look nice. That why I want to print it , plus I have magnetic paper (heavy) that is also very sticky on one side and I can run it through my printer. I have 5 inch round steel I can cut down to a needed diameter.:pondering:

22/7 is an approximation. Pi to five places is 3.14159

Robert D.

That's interesting Robert ... I was taught at the Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Apprentice college that I attended for 3 yrs was that 22/7 was the right equation that's why it never works out as a decimal .

I'm intrigued , can you point me to any places that explain how it is derived please? .

Thanks for that John ...my head .....it's going... going "Round in circles.

By the time I'd speed read to about half the reference ... I nearly lost the will to live :lmao:

It's interesting to see that there are so many new accuracies for it . I'd never heard of anything other than old Archimedes way as being 22/7 .

It only goes to show that you can learn something new every day ( especially if you suffer from the early stages of Alzheimer's like I seem to do :rofl:).

I give up :whiteflag: . I just spent 5 hours trying to print a scale from several software programs. I got close , but me and this computer are not getting along.:banghead::banghead: . I'm going to the shop and do what I do best, cut metal and make chips. I got along 45 years without a degree wheel , I guess I'll make it till I die without one too.

Mark

Back