A Diamond Is Forever

Fabrickator, did you do your mark with stamps or by electro-acid etching?

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you mean how I cut the 73 facets I just set the appropriate angle(s), figured out the index (8's and 16's) and used the spec/guide sheet to guide my depths, widths and general % measurements for each area called out in the guide. Most of all, I wanted it to be flawless and accurate, like a real stone, so I took my time (about 24 hrs. over 2 weeks/not including polish time).

I cut all of it with one 1/2" 2-flute TIN coated end mill and got a pretty acceptable finish using my power feed on slow feed speeds. Instead of using my 8" cotton buffing wheel and chance losing the edges, I bought a vibration tumbler with corn cob media and it worked great for a "set-it and forget it" polish (about 12 hrs.) and I finished with a quick hand job of Mother's. I'm working on a small brass stand for it now so I can spin it around for a 360* view.

I got a similar 2" round bar of stainless, so I may try it again.

LMS High Torque Mini Mill
LMS Rotary Table & Power Feed
Grizzly G0602

Rick

Awesome work Rick! Although sometimes I can't help but get the feeling some of you gurus get out of bed in the morning just to show off how inept I am....:)

Looks great. You could try it again with clear polycarbonate and see how it looks

Back