A different approach to cutting oddball threads

homebrewed

Registered
Registered
In the last day or so I realized that the increasingly-common 3D printer offers an interesting alternative to cutting otherwise difficult-to-cut threads. This, in terms of the limited choices of change gears available for mini lathes. There's a 21-tooth gear for cutting metric threads on an imperial 7X lathe, but what if you want to make a 25TPI screw? By fooling around with the Little Machine Shop change gear calculator I found that a 22-tooth gear can produce exactly 25TPI, so that info, along with a 3D gear-printing program will do the job. Some metric threads will see an improvement as well -- a 42 tooth gear will cut .75mm threads to an accuracy of .0125%, while a commercially available 21 tooth gear gives you .023% accuracy. Either one probably isn't enough of an error to cause problems in most cases, but you get the idea.

To avoid a lot of messing with change gear calculators to find a reasonable gear, I wrote a program to help get there faster. It's attached and easy to use -- if you happen to be using a linux operating system. Sorry about that.

To use the program, open a terminal window and change directories to the location of my program, then enter "./FindGear N", where N is the desired TPI's you want to cut. BTW N can be fractional like 27.7 so you can go crazy with this. The "dot-slash" prefix just tells the OS to look in the current directory for the program file.

Due to mechanical-interference concerns I limited the search to gears with 21 to 79 teeth, but when I increased the upper limit to 127 teeth I didn't find any improvement in the accuracy of metric threads. But that might be due to some other things going on with my program.

As an example of a potentially-useful application, consider a differential screw that produces .001 inch per turn. If one of the threads is a commonly-available 32TPI screw, the second thread could be 33.05785TPI. The standard change gear set can be used to cut a thread that is accurate to .1%, but if you print yourself a 22 tooth gear you can get dead on, 0% error, It would be "nice" to have at least one standard thread so you don't have to make two oddball taps, eh?

BTW, I couldn't attach the file without adding the ".txt" file extension. To use it, rename it by removing the ".txt" part.

Attachments

• FindGear.txt
    17 KB · Views: 62
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock