[4]

Winner A Dividing Head By Wayne

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne.inspain

Registered
I would have liked a nice round recess for the dial of the adjusting screw on the body but with no cutter big enough and not enough clearance on the lathe
I couldn't do it. When I made the dial for the adjuster I didn't intend recessing it into the body but then didn't like it sticking out but once recessed
the markings were difficult to see. Boring head next project!

wayne.inspain

Registered
The next step I decided to do was the spindle clamp the reason being when I bore through the main barrel I would like to bore out the clamp at the same
time, I didn't take any pics of this, pretty straight forward, Listen to me talking like I know something, cut the shape out drill the holes and the run an adjusted version of the prog that I did for the side plates for the pilot hole faced both sides with my patent applied for, not!fly cutter and the clamp was as finished. I also bolted the side plates on, what a chore!!! who would have thought that 8 holes would take so long. I should have taken a pic of this but thought it so mundane that it wasn't needed, I clamped all the parts together, the barrel, the 2 side plates and the base, turned them upside down, clocked them on the mill then drilled through the base into the side plates with 5mm drill 8 times then again through just the base with a 6mm drill 8 times then counter bored with a 9mm drill to 6mm deep to take the heads 8 times then put a 10mm cutter in the holes to flatten out the bottom of the counter bore and open to size 8 times then put the 6mm taper tap in the holes 8 times then the second cut 8 times then the plug tap 8 times then had a beer 8 times then got told off by the missus for being drunk for the hundredth time!!! lol.
IMAG0087.jpg
IMAG0088.jpg

As you can see from the first pic I decided to cut rebates in the base to have some kind of repeat ability when assembling in the future, the left rebate I made
really snug as the reference plate and the right one I opened out half a millimeter just in case I needed it, not yet completely confident with my abilities in this field. I got those hex head screws from an old motor bike I stripped down, nice in gold! One detail I felt important was to make sure the right hand edge of the spindle clamp had a shoulder to butt up against so not relying on the bolts for alignment and rigidity, not evident from the pic is the left hand side of the clamp clears the barrel shoulder but 2mm, I also opted, the same as Mark to go for a shim between the clamp and the barrel body for clearance, I have yet to cut the slot in the clamp, no slitting saw I will have to do it with the angle grinder, and drill the clamping bolt hole, that's the next job. I left the tops of the side plates square so that I could rest the assembly on these ends to drill the holes in the base. They will be cut into the same radius as the main barrel. When I work out how.

wayne.inspain

Registered
Yesterday I learnt a lesson in planning the sequence of operations, I started to cut the slot in the spindle lock and realized just before breaking
through with the grinder I didn't want to be doing this yet.
IMAG0099.jpg

When I bore the hole in the plate the sides will flex, I will have to make a shim the width of the cut and tighten the clamping bolt. No biggie.
I haven't decided whether to bore the hole for the main spindle whilst it is mounted on the side plates or mount it directly on the mill, I am leaning towards
leaving it mounted on the side plates so I will make the clamping plates next. I decided to try to make a boring tool for this job because the other one I made
will be too big to go through the pilot hole. This tool can be simpler than the other because I have no fixed size I need to hit because the spindle bearings are not made yet. I have a piece of 25mm bar and a broken drill bit. I had looked at some simple designs on the net which used a grub screw to clamp the tool in a bar, this was the sort of thing I was aiming for but I don't have much space, I could turn down the 25mm bar to 20 or so but the tool still needs to be the same length to bore out to 45mm for my other tool to fit. I would also prefer the adjusting screw to be accessible with the cutter inside the bore of the work.
IMAG0100.jpg

The broken drill was 12mm I clocked the bar in the vice center drilled and drilled out to 11mm then put a 12mm end mill through the bar, then with the angle grinder slit the bar.
IMAG0091.jpg

Turned the bar through 90 degrees then drilled and tapped for m6 cap head screw.
IMAG0095.jpg

Ground a cutting edge on the broken drill, cut to length and assembled.
IMAG0096.jpg
IMAG0096.jpg

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Order of operation is important :grin: Good catch:encourage:

wayne.inspain

Registered
The clamping screw grips the bit really tight even when it is further out of the bar, at also moves in and out smoothly with no possibility
of being marked by a grub screw. My thoughts on adjustment are if after a cut and the cutter pointing say along the x axis if I move the table on by
say 0.1mm move the tool out till it touches the work again then raise the tool up and put the table back to where it was I will have a 0.1mm increase
in tool length. It was this thinking that lead me to want the adjusting screw above the cutter. I will try it out at the weekend.

wayne.inspain

Registered
Talk about think twice and cut once I have just thought of a way of modifying the boring tool I have already got.:laughing:
Obvious really, cut a slot on the bottom of the main body to the center then drill the tool holder from the bottom and the tool can
stick out the bottom the same as a commercial boring head. I will do that at the weekend as well.

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
You are doing an amazing job here.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I have been watching from a distance. You are really doing some exceptional work here. You passed the name Newbie a long time ago.

"Billy G"

wayne.inspain

Registered
WoW Hi Mark thank for you encouragement it is always welcome, I am trying to do your design justice.
Hi Bill thank you for your comments, I have seen the amazing work you do so I take it as praise indeed
I never thought me grubbing about in my workshop would be of interest to anyone, particularly to such skillful people.
I don't mind being a newbie last week I was a 2 horned saddle from the Shetlands!
Hi Tim Nice comment thank you, never looked upon it as being creative just trying to get the job done with what I have got.

wayne.inspain

Registered
I didn't get a lot of time in the shop today but managed to get the end plate clamps partially made.
IMAG0102.jpg

Cut with the grinder from 10mm thick flat bar, then sanded them round they still need truing up but I was going to do that later but now
had a thought that if I bolt them together I can hold the in the chuck on the lathe, then I can face them off.
I decided on 3 clamping bolts I don't know why, I clocked the barrel in the mill the let my DROs work out the hole position on a 25mm pcd,
It did the job well both plates are interchangeable and the holes are dead size. I have clocked the top face parallel with the base clamped it up tight
ready for boring in the morning. I was thinking of 40mm for the spindle but we will see what I end up with. I will let you know tomorrow how I get on,
I all goes well I carry on if not it will make an unusual door stop!

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This is looking great. Are the corners of the end plates going to interfere with a chuck or whatever is mounted on the spindle when going from vertical to horizontal spindle position?

wayne.inspain

Registered
Hi Mark, When the majority of the machining is done and I am sure that I don't need them for setting up I am some how going to machine them
to the same radius as the barrel to ensure that any face plate etc will hit the mill, or what ever the head is standing on, first. That will give me enough
room to mount a 6 1/2 " face plate

wayne.inspain

Registered
Next step was to bore the hole for the main spindle, I clocked and clamped the assembly to the mill. I have just enough depth to bore straight through.
Zero-ed the tool over the pilot hole clamped the cutter to just scratch the bore and turned on
IMAG0104.jpg

No horrible noises so all the way through. Before I brought the tool back up I moves the x axis 0.1mm made sure the cutter was facing in the x direction I had
moved the table then brought the cutter to within a few mil for the top moved the cutter out of the boring bar to the side of the hole and tightened the clamp
bolt back up then raised out of the hole put the table back and cut again. I tried 0.2mm 0.3 and 0.4mm cuts 0.4 was too much so I stayed with 0.2 depth of cut at 500 rpm
IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

the hole got bigger
IMAG0111.jpg

At 45mm dia I decided that was big enough took a last cut of 0.05mm at 100rpm and the finish was surprisingly good, I was please with the result
of 4 hours of boring. I then attached the spindle lock plate and packed it up from the main barrel I had to strip down my feeler gauges to make some
parallel shims, I have 1.6mm between the 2 parts, not much but will have to do. I will need to make a longer cutter for the boring bar but I will do that tomorrow.
IMAG0115.jpg

wayne.inspain

Registered
It rained today, it doesn't happen very often but it means I can't work so into the shop I went. I ground up a new longer cutter
from an old end mill even with care not to draw the temper it didn't last one cut, the broken drill I use for the short one only needed
sharpening 3 times to bore the main hole but that was a quality cobalt I have had for years and the piece left was not long enough.
I had to use my other head but I didn't think it would fit, I had to make a longer cutter from some tool steel but the head fit in the main bore
with only 2mm to spare but it was enough and with care I managed to bore out the spindle clamp, it's about 59 mm dia I can't measure it exact but that is not a problem, I will cut the spindle to suit.
IMAG0119.jpg

Sorry the pic is terrible but it is the beast the other are worse.
PICT2144.JPG
PICT2145.JPG

I have turned the end clamping plates, I bolted the 2 plates together then held one in the lathe chuck cut the other then swapped the over, next either
the bushes or the spindle I will have to think about it.

wayne.inspain

Registered
After much thought I decided that I didn't want to cut my change wheel for the lathe because if all goes wrong and I am unable to make a new
I won't have one, I know that I could probably repair the old one but I would sooner keep it original. So because I would like to have an mt3
taper through the spindle and the hole in the change wheel is only 15mm I decided to make a temporary spindle. I would rather not waste a lot of material
I will make the spindle from several pieces. Starting with 80mm dia bar 20mm long I bored a hole through the middle to 25mm, my biggerst drill bit is 16mm
and I don't have a boring bar so I ground up a piece of 6mm tool steel and continued boring to a tight fit on 25mm bar.
PICT2149.JPG

Cut a chamfer on the disc and welded the 2 together. Then 2 pieces of 40 bar one bore to 25mm and the other to 15mm this also took ages, I had to grind
more off the tool steel because for the 15mm hole my nearest drill bit is 13mm but with small cut I git there.
PICT2152.JPG

Then chucked the spindle and cut the shoulder for the spindle lock.
PICT2153.JPG

The assembly would have to stay in the chuck now till it was complete. 28mm from the spindle lock collar I reduced the 25mm shaft to 15mm to the end.
then slid the components on the spindle.
PICT2154.JPG

I threaded the end of the spindle so a clamping nut would hold everything together. The first piece of 40mm I loctited to the shaft, I put the assembly
back together with a spacer instead of the change wheel so I could clean up the 40mm bars to the same diameter.
PICT2155.JPG

By the time they were cleaned up they ended up at 38mm both the same dia and in line true to the spindle, I think!
PICT2158.JPG

Next the bushes. I was expecting to use brass for the bushes but on my travel during the day I nipped into an engineering shop I had not been in before
and ask if he had any bronze he said where would I get an Olympic medal from? I though he must be kidding but he just walked off, so I guess he wasn't.
I went to another shop and on the shelves he must have every off cut he has produce since he started, hundreds of bits, some only an inch long, but he did have some bronze. A nice piece of tube 47mm dia, with 33mm bore just right.
PICT2159.JPG

I know I shouldn't have held it like that and I regretted it because as I tried the barrel on for final sizing I dislodged and it ran off true, but when I measured my 4 jaw I didn't think it would fit but it did. I did take some pics of the bushes being made but they were terrible. so here are them finished
PICT2165.JPG

Boring the bushes was difficult I will make a boring bar, I may have to buy something for measuring bore diameters cus a vernier is not up to the job.
The bushes pushed in nicely I must have tried the a dozen time to get the size.
PICT2171.JPG

All assembled, and it turns, a bit of tidying up and ready for the next stage.
PICT2167.JPG

PICT2170.JPG

Randall Marx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi Wayne
I've been following this build from afar and must say that the work you are producing seems to be first class! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us!!

wayne.inspain

Registered
Hi RM
It has been a pleasure to do the work, a pleasure to share it and a pleasure to read your comments, thanks.

wayne.inspain

Registered
Today I decided to do the worm. never done one never cut a screw thread on the lathe. I have a piece of 25mm brass for the worm, I know
for every thing to run perfect I either need a worm wheel or set the axis of the worm at the helix angle, but I have neither, I know that the threading tool
when ground to size should be set in the tool holder at the angle of the worm helix but I thought that if I ignore all that it might still work, working on the assumption that if every thing is wrong it might all come right. I got a piece of tool steel shaped about right in the things that came with the lathe, and it is square so I can't set it at the helix angle in the tool holder, I don't know what the helix angle should be any way but surmised that if the tool fit the teeth
exact then it would cut wide and the worm teeth will need to be wider that they should be because the worm shaft will be at the wrong angle, I am not sure if any of that makes any sense I won't know till I start cutting.
I needed a pitch of 4mm or at least that's as close as I can guess measure it, the chart on my lathe finished at 3mm. I search the net to find out how to work it out set the lathe up with the correct change wheels, measured the travel of the saddle after turning the chuck by hand it was miles out, after a lot of checking
and head scratching realized, the drive wheel for the change wheel train didn't come off the main spindle but came from a gear box, with a 4.6:1 ratio.
More head scratching and playing with some numbers I got it to 3.9mm travel and that was the best I can do.

wayne.inspain

Registered
I did some cuts in steel with out the feed to see if the cutter would cut then tried it with feed, the slowest speed on the lathe is 170rpm
boy did that carriage move fast.
PICT2178.JPG

I would need plenty of run off. That's my piece of brass in the back ground. Enough practice in the brass when skimmed it clean, cut the run off to the depth of the teeth on the change wheel had a few practice runs a few mill from the work and gradually got the tool closer till it made the first scratched, no frills back
off the cutter reverse the spindle and carriage set a new scratch and go again. 20, stress full, minutes later I had this.
PICT2176.JPG
PICT2177.JPG

A 8mm hole drill through the center for the spindle, that was out of an old printer, cut off, bit of a tidy and it was done.
PICT2181.JPG

wayne.inspain

Registered
I was quite please with my first attempt, needs a grub screw or something, it fits the change wheel quite well barely any play, it's
not quite right it just bottoms out and the teeth are too narrow but they had to be because the worm will not be on the helix angle, it will do till I make the new worm wheel then I will have a go at making a good one. When I re-assembled everything I found the worm will hit the main barrel, I thought it would be close. So I put the barrel in the end plates and base put it all back on the mill and took off the corners.
PICT2173.JPG

Bit of a clean up.
PICT2184.JPG

The next job is the mounts for the worm spindle.

wayne.inspain

Registered
Hi Jim. Thanks. Didn't see your post there I was busy typing. Glad you liked it I was pleased with the outcome for a first attempt,
and other that those bushes I made, the first time with brass since my school days.

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Wayne, This is simply amazing......and first class workmanship. It looks fantastic in the photos.

wayne.inspain

Registered
Hi Mark, You don't know how much I appreciate your comments, thanks.:)
Today's project was the worm spindle mounts, I bought some 50mm brass yesterday from the man who has every off cut his shop has
produced, 2 slices 10mm thick drilled for the spindle and milled to the correct height, couple of counter bored hole, fit a new car radio,
couple of hours out on the bike, bar, beer and bed, what a day!. I didn't like the idea of hack sawing the brass bar so decided to make a
parting tool. I have not really done any parting on the lathe looks a bit iffy! I have an old saw blade that I thought might do the job so I got the
grinder out.
PICT2186.JPG

PICT2187.JPG

I sanded it to fit the holder in my quick change tool post on the lathe.
Put the brass in the lathe cleaned it bored it 8mm then plunged it in!
PICT2189.JPG

It went in as fast as I could turn the handle I will have to try it on steel that will be a different matter. The tct end looks a bit skew but it's
the camera angle it is central.
Getting the correct height for the worm spindle was a bit hit and miss, I put the spindle through the worm rested in on top of the change wheel in
situ. and with a couple of 8mm end mills and feeler gauge's got the spindle parallel with the main barrel. A few sums then milled and drilled.
PICT2193.JPG

PICT2190.JPG

I have to counter bore the bolt holes and a bit of a tidy up. There is a perceivable amount of play between the worm and the change wheel, but it's not much but I think it should be good enough to make a new worm and wheel. I have more of the brass and I think I might hollow it out to fit between the worm spindle supports to make a cover to keep out swarf. Next job? O yes fit the new car radio, never mind bike beer and bed after that!

Steve Shannon

Rocketgeek
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Very impressive. I'm hoping to be half as resourceful.

Steve Shannon

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
What I find amazing is how you make what you need from whatever you can find ...... and make it look so nice. I don't have that kind of patience. In my opinion , this is skill, and you are what I consider a true machinist.

wayne.inspain

Registered
Hi Steve, thanks, for your remarks, I never considered it creativity just desperation, Lol!
Mark you really are too kind. I am sure if everyone had the junk that I'd been collecting over the years you all would make
what you need, If I panned the camera round my shop you would all cringe.!! If I make enough projects perhaps it will all get used. lol
Looking at the projects you make and at the level you achieve you have enough patience to make anything you set your mind too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[5] [7]