• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner A Dividing Head By Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne.inspain

Registered
Registered
Hi All my name is Wayne I live in a agricultural part of Spain (an engineering waste land). I have a BV20 Axminster lathe and a KTF mill drill. I have dabbled in cnc building and put stepper motors on the mill but the backlash was such that to cut a circle would at best end up egg shaped, so i have a sophisticated power feed but I have come to like turning the handles. I have done virtually no milling or lathe work but have read some good books buy Harold hall and as a first proper project wanted to make a rotary table similar to one of his books, but nothing seemed to fit what I wanted, ( if the truth be known I didn't know what i wanted) then after searching google I saw the dividing head by one of your members Mark and this lead me to your site and by his title assured me that any one could make one, so that thought has kicked me up the back side to stop surfing and start swarfing. After work tomorrow I am going to dust off the mill and lathe and make a start.
I know it is a big project and the out come will not be as good as Mark's cracking job but you got to start some where I will take some picks of my progress for anyone who may be interested.

Welcome aboard, and looking forward to your progress posts on the dividing head. :)

Hi wrmiller Thank you for your welcome. I am working on a drawing of the head I would like to end up with, I am not saying that
is what I am going to end up with only time and swarf will tell.!!!

Hi Wayne: Like Bill said: Welcome aboard! I was very much intrigued by Mark Fs Divider build.
That project is a little too complex for my tooling and skill. Some of his other work has inspired me to head to my work shop as well.
The detailed explanations and drawings he often provides are an asset to THM and to a beginner like me.

I had to look up the Axminister line of machinery. (cool sounding name).
Ax Minister.JPG
I for one will be interested in seeing how your make on the index turns out.
And if by chance you end up with extra dividing plates......
Lken

Hi LucknowKen,
Thank you also for my welcome, yes that is my lathe unfortunately for me mine does not look as new as that one. I too have very little tooling
but I got to thinking if I wait till I have all the tools and the know how I will never get off the computer thinking and dreaming about doing
this stuff. This is my first time on a forum and the first time I have tried to upload any thing, so if it works the drawing in my interpretation of Mark's design
and what i would like to make. I have found some stuff that I am going to use. I have made a few changes to Marks design not because I think his is
wrong, but because either I cannot see how I could make it or don't know why I would need that function, but I have tried to leave the possibility
of adding it in the future. I think by the time I have made the first dividing plate that works my shop will be knee deep in them and if you want any....

dividing head assy600.jpg

These are the materials I am going to try and use. A piece of 80mm dia bar, the cut off end of a beam I fitted in some ones house,
some bits of plate, The gear is the change wheel from my lathe which I would prefer not to butcher, but with the idea of using the divider
head to make a better one later, a piece of 8mm ground bar out of a printer scanner. I got started this afternoon by putting the 80mm
bar in the lathe faced off the ends and after 2 hours of making swarf and sandpaper had something that looked like what I needed. The ends
are 60mm dia, I wanted 65mm but got lucky at 60, the main body is 107mm long and 77mm dia, the final diameter is where I manage to make the best
finish. Lathe tool was 6mm hss steel sharpened by hand. By the time I got it to cut It was much shorter than when I started. Next project tool sharpener.!!
And a better camera!!!!!

IMAG0011.jpg 20140608_220849.JPG

Hi All my name is Wayne I live in a agricultural part of Spain (an engineering waste land). I have a BV20 Axminster lathe and a KTF mill drill. I have dabbled in cnc building and put stepper motors on the mill but the backlash was such that to cut a circle would at best end up egg shaped, so i have a sophisticated power feed but I have come to like turning the handles. I have done virtually no milling or lathe work but have read some good books buy Harold hall and as a first proper project wanted to make a rotary table similar to one of his books, but nothing seemed to fit what I wanted, ( if the truth be known I didn't know what i wanted) then after searching google I saw the dividing head by one of your members Mark and this lead me to your site and by his title assured me that any one could make one, so that thought has kicked me up the back side to stop surfing and start swarfing. After work tomorrow I am going to dust off the mill and lathe and make a start.
I know it is a big project and the out come will not be as good as Mark's cracking job but you got to start some where I will take some picks of my progress for anyone who may be interested.[/QUOT

These are the materials I am going to try and use. A piece of 80mm dia bar, the cut off end of a beam I fitted in some ones house,
some bits of plate, The gear is the change wheel from my lathe which I would prefer not to butcher, but with the idea of using the divider
head to make a better one later, a piece of 8mm ground bar out of a printer scanner. I got started this afternoon by putting the 80mm
bar in the lathe faced off the ends and after 2 hours of making swarf and sandpaper had something that looked like what I needed. The ends
are 60mm dia, I wanted 65mm but got lucky at 60, the main body is 107mm long and 77mm dia, the final diameter is where I manage to make the best
finish. Lathe tool was 6mm hss steel sharpened by hand. By the time I got it to cut It was much shorter than when I started. Next project tool sharpener.!!
And a better camera!!!!!

View attachment 127535 View attachment 127536
Welcome to a very helpful sight ! These guys are very helpful and quick to respond.

Wayne, welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of knowledge and experience here! Looking forward to reading about your progress on the dividing head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back