• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner A Dividing Head By Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did wonder how you made the slot, I thought you might have had a long milling tool and set it up on your
horizontal mill. I though going in from each side of the barrel a bit risky but if the two cuts didn't meet exact
it wouldn't matter as long as they could be cleaned up later and there was enough clearance for the worm wheel.
If i was to do it again, now knowing that I can make the slot, I would cut the flats for the spindle bore first
because it would be easier to reference on the larger area of the flat to cut the slot that the inside of a slot to cut
the flats.
I checked back on your thread #65 and I can see what you mean. Yep I can do that. And looking at your post
again after I have done a bit more turning I realize just how good the quality of your work is and the finish you get
is beautiful.
I will get in the shop again today I will post my progress.

Last edited:
Please forgive my bad manners Mark, I was so keen to get back in the shop I forgot to say thank you for spending your
time helping me with this project. Cheers!

Please forgive my bad manners Mark, I was so keen to get back in the shop I forgot to say thank you for spending your
time helping me with this project. Cheers!
I am honored to assist any way I can. Feel free to ask me any questions you like.

This morning the problem was to drill a pilot hole for the spindle, my biggest drill bit is 16mm I thought this was to small for boring out
I don't have a boring head I will make some thing. I have some 25mm bar and I thought I could make some kind of boring bar from that
and one of the half dozen broken drill bits I always save. I have a 26mm rota broach but with a 19 shaft won't fit in my largest collet, 16mm.
I was just thinking of how i was to make an adapter when a friend brought me a collet chuck. Could not believe my eyes. A friend of ours died some time
back and this was the only engineering tool he had! So I made a holder for the rota broach to fit the 25mm collet, I had to grind part or the shoulder
off the chuck for it to fit in the mill make a draw bar from some 10mm studding wiggled the barrel in and with my heart in my mouth started to drill.

IMAG0009.jpg IMAG0010.jpg IMAG0005.jpg

As you can see from the first pic my 6mm lathe tools are still my only small parallels. In fact other than my V blocks, my only parallels.
All went well and I ended up with the barrel ready for boring to the final size. Next project some parallels!! and a camera.

IMAG0001.jpg IMAG0003.jpg IMAG0015.jpg IMAG0034.jpg

Please Please is it possible for a moderator or who ever can to change the title on this thread and change my spelling mistake?
I meant to put Newbie, not Neebie, what ever a neebie is.

Shetland saddles have a pair of horns, the muckle and peerie —, or she and he neevies or neebies, placed centrally, and one slotted through the other.
Hope this clarifies the term "neebie"
Your index is progressing nicely.
Lken

Shetland saddles have a pair of horns, the muckle and peerie —, or she and he neevies or neebies, placed centrally, and one slotted through the other.
Hope this clarifies the term "neebie"
Your index is progressing nicely.
Lken
Interesting. I've been professionally involved with horses for thirty years and this is the first I've seen these terms. Evidently the type of saddle in question is a pack saddle?

WHAT!!! I knew this forum was going to be informative and a place to learn new ideas and techniques, thank you for the very interesting replies on SADDLES
pack or other wise, can somebody please change the title of this thread. lol!!!!

I agree with Wayne, it is much better to be called a noobie than a kneebee. With the work he is doing neither applies to him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back