• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner A Dividing Head By Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Tozguy, but I didn't say noobie or neebee either of which might be another kind of saddle for a pack mule or donkey,
newbie! please.

Hi I decided the next job was the base and the side plates, these are from the off cut of a large beam I
fitted in a house about 3 years ago, all the flanges are varying thicknesses and I am hoping to end with
about 16mm thick pieces. I cut them out with an angle grinder with a 2mm cutting disc. I had 3 pieces the base
and the side pieces, the base I wanted to end up with 175mm by 100mm, and the side pieces 85mm by 105mm
but the sizes are not really important. I put the base on the mill, because I was going to paint the base, like Mark's
I was happy to only face where the side pieces fitted and the underneath, but I couldn't get it to sit flat every time
I moved a clamp if sat differently, so I had face one side without moving a clamp then turn it over set it up not putting
it on my v block where it had not been faced, face that side then turn it back to face the first side again, then going around the
edges moving the clamp out of the way and re-clamping, I was glad when it was done.

IMAG0026.jpg IMAG0029.jpg IMAG0032.jpg

When I put the base on my surface plate and ran the clock over it there was only about 0.05mm deviation but I didn't
like all the ridges the cutter had made my biggest cutter is 12mm and the head of the mill is probably not trammed
perfectly, so I decided to scrape the bottom, not bothered about the top it will be painted. I have a surface plate, I found it in a field about
5 years ago it was in a bad state badly pitted and covered with rust, I sanded it down with a belt sander and used it for center punching.
A month ago I managed to borrow a granite surface plate from a friend who uses it for marking out pieces for his model airplanes. You can see it
in one of the previous pic. He's took it back yesterday. Boo!
I decided as my first ever scraping job I was going to scrape my plate flat, I t took 3 weeks every night, no proper scraper and no engineers blue,
I used tungsten carbide paint scraper and some red paint from a toy shop, but it is flat, nearly! So I scraped the base and from the pic you can see
it is nearly there I will do a bit more tomorrow. I don't like all that striping so I am going to do what Mark did and fly cut the rest, I will make one
tomorrow.

IMAG0040.jpg IMAG0041.jpg

WHAT!!! I knew this forum was going to be informative and a place to learn new ideas and techniques, thank you for the very interesting replies on SADDLES
pack or other wise, can somebody please change the title of this thread. lol!!!!
Done Wayne.......if you don't like it....I can change it back :grin:

Wow....I am really impressed watching you do this great build without a lot of expensive or fancy tools. You even make what you need and do it the hardest way possible. This is truly talent and a passion for what you are doing. To say the least, I am impressed.

Thanks Mark that makes a lot less of a neebie lol. And thanks for those kind words, for me, new to this hobby part of the joy
is making things, and like you who likes making your own tooling I also feel a lot of satisfaction from making tools and anything
really whether in metal or wood. I feel if you put off doing something till you have all the tools all the materials and the wind is in
the right direction you will never make anything.

Now I don't want any of you to laugh at my fly cutter, it is not pretty but it is all I had material wise and I will make a better one
when I come across better materials. The arbour came with the mill but I have never used it because, well I didn't have a use for it
and I don't have a draw bar or at least I didn't have a 3/8wit die to make one with! A small lathe tool and a 3/8 chain sprocket. I had
some 50mm bar but too much turning. That is not the sprocket I use but my camera battery was flat and I couldn't wait for it to charge
I wanted to get started. So I put the sprocket in the lathe and tried to cut off the teeth but they were too hard so I cut them off with the grinder
then bored the holes milled the slots I figured as long as one side of the slot was on the center line in the correct direction the rest didn't really matter.
No actually I bored the side to carry a broken drill sharpened up but it didn't work, then I milled the slots. I couldn't get any angle on the cutter
to throw the edge of the cutter outside the body but for this job it would be ok.

IMAG0045.jpg IMAG0048.jpg IMAG0049.jpg IMAG0050.jpg IMAG0052.jpg

Put it in the mill and let it rip. This time to mount the plate I drilled a hole where the main bore hole will be and I didn't intend
facing this because it will be drilled out. No more moving clamps! I had roll my sleeves down put some gloves, and googles on cus blue
bits of metal were flying every where. I tried slowing the speed down but it didn't sound as good so I put it back up 1000rpm seemed
a bit fast for that diameter but the mill wasn't complaining and the cutter was ok so on I went. changed over to an end mill for the side
and one side was done in about 15minutes. The finish was much better, fly cutter next project. I have to go out tonight so that is all I had time for, till tomorrow.

IMAG0049.jpg IMAG0059.jpg IMAG0056.jpg

Very nice work on the dividing head Wayne, and kudos for making do with what's at hand. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back