• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner A Dividing Head By Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent job, I love the design.

The dividing head ratio is 60 to 1 so each full turn of the handle is 6 degrees, 10 turns of the handle gives me 60 degrees for the sides of the nut.

I have not done the math on all the combinations, but on the surface 60 to 1 sounds so much more practical then 40 to 1.

You young man have done a great job. This tool you will have to use the rest of your working life. I went to vocational school and made tools as my test projects and that was over forty years ago. Still have the tools and the memories. You will to , and the buggers , or blunders will only make you better. Don't be afraid to try to make the things you need. And if you think your way works do it. Then you know if it will or won't.
Very nice build , clear explanation of it too. We will be watching for more.

Hi Thank you all for your comments, they are as always very encouraging and inspirational. I am not sure over all whether 60:1 or 40:1 is better, 60:1 you have to turn the handle more but 60 seems to divide into 360 better. I think the big deciding factor that really sways the decision for me is that I didn't have a 40 tooth spur gear!!!

Hi Superburban, I am glad you like the design, so do I, I wish it was mine, but I have Mark to thank for the design and the encouragement along the way to complete it to this stage. :applause:

Spent a few evenings reading through this whole thread and I gotta say that I think you are the furthest thing from a newbie!
Both you and Mark (and many others here!) show some amazing creativity and help folks like me think of ways of using our machines in ways
we haven't yet thought of.

If I can ask, should you do a set of drawings.. can I request a set? I have to admit, I can't fathom how you did it all without a basic set of drawings!
But I did want to say thanks for making time to post all the pics and share the experience with us all. It is an inspiration to be sure.

Hi 34-40 thank you for your comments, as this is my first project of this kind of engineering I do consider that I am still a newbie, (I double checked the spelling this time)! I haven't done a set of drawings for the dividing head I took what materials I had kicking about and worked
on dimensions that suited the materials. I will do a set of basic drawings as guide lines, and make them available to any one that wants them.
Hi "Billy G" thank you for your congratulations, but could you tell me what the POTM award is.

Got it! Project of the month. WOW thank you. Considering the fantastic work that is done by the members of this forum I never would have expected this.

wayne,be careful. Those ground HSS cutters are not accurate to use as parallels. If you measured them(which you may have already done),you will find out that they can be several thousandths different in size. Even the small ones can be quite different in their sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back