A Dolphin locket coining die I made

I saw this today in person ..... all I can say is WOW! The detail is amazing. George not only are you an expert machinist, but also a very accomplished artist.

I'm glad you got to see it magnified here since you didn't have your glasses on this morning !!! As I mentioned,I can spend many hours making a nice model,but you never can tell if the piece will sell well. Often much simpler things will sell. Most people just don't have the cognition to digest what they're seeing.

Soon,possibly today,I'll post a coined piece of silver. Yesterday was too muddled with dog walking and looking at original 18th.C. beads(for my wife's business. We wonder how the Cherokee keep coming up with them!) I was just tired out at the end.

Last edited:
That is really beautiful work - looking forward to seeing pictures from the die being used.

I would also love to see a post just on the knurls (if you haven't already done one).

I did post how to make microscope type knurls,at least on another site. My pictures were poor,though. I need to re do them. My camera has an unreliable self focusing feature. I wish I could just focus myself.

Fantastic George!

Have you ever posted a picture of the press you built to do this work?

Scott

No press pictures. It's just a 50 ton Northern made in China jack inside a very strong cage.

Very nice!

Very nice work! I found your post searching for techinques for making coining dies, it inspired me to join the forum! I started making some dies after reading about the coins made by moneyers in the Society for Creative Anachromism. I've been carving a few punches and dies freehand, and using steel punches as hobs to make bronze coining dies.

Back