A few custom lathe accesories

Road_Clam

Registered
Registered
Now that I finished my riser block for my Bostar QCTP I spent some time getting my primary tools centerline adjusted. I also did a few must have mods. I fabbed a carriage stop and I modified the carriage clamp to accept a adjustable clamp lever. I LOVE the versatile MSC adjustable clamp levers !

It's the little upgrades that make your life so much easier and quicker ! The biggest PIA with the carriage clamp was I had to modify the 5/16-18 threads to accept the lathe clamp's M6x1 threads. Drilling out and re-tapping the lower carriage clamp to 5/16-18 was not an option. For the first time I single point threaded M6x1 manually spinning running the chuck . The threads came out perfect but that's a TON of labor. I need to learn how to tap metrics with power feeding.

IMG_20220417_153055916.jpg

IMG_20220417_153114965.jpg

If that's a stick weld it looks like you had the current too low or were moving too fast
Good rule is 1 amp for every 0.001" of rod for example 1/8" rod = 0.125" = 125 amps

If that's a stick weld it looks like you had the current too low or were moving too fast
Good rule is 1 amp for every 0.001" of rod for example 1/8" rod = 0.125" = 125 amps
It was first MIG (yes inadequate amperage I only have a Hobart Handler) then I tried a TIG pass just to fuse the puddle better and that also did not work. I make NO claims to be a welder but they are strong enough. What I probably should have done was preheat the steel prior to MIG.

Looks good but a heads up . Those clamps wear out in a hurry . The zinc strips out in the head very easily . I replace them on equipment a few times each week at work , so don't overdo it .

Looks good but a heads up . Those clamps wear out in a hurry . The zinc strips out in the head very easily . I replace them on equipment a few times each week at work , so don't overdo it .
Can you elaborate ? Im not understanding what you mean by "zinc strips out" . There is no zinc on my clamp levers they are black oxide coated and theres no way these will wear out. They are very well made.

The handle is zinc and will strip , exactly what I said . We use these at work everywhere and the operators over tighten and strip the gear in the handle . It is indeed cast out of zinc and the outside is coated , the inside is not . Take your handle apart and check it out , you'll see what I'm telling you . ;)

Edit , it also tells you the handle is cast zinc in the description you posted . These are considered light duty and the operators don't need tools to use them , but we do go thru a ton of them . YMMV .

Last edited:
Back