A few mods to my new 30 ton log splitter

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
I picked up this 30 ton log splitter as a xmas present to myself.

1.JPG

I decided it needed a few modifications for ease of use and to protect the engine and hydraulic filter.

Log tables.

DSCF2696.JPGDSCF2697.JPGDSCF2706.JPGDSCF2707.JPGDSCF2713.JPG

Engine guard.

DSCF2711.JPGDSCF2712.JPG

Guard for the hydraulic filter housing, hose and a place to rest my foot.

DSCF2709.JPGDSCF2710.JPG

Tables can stay on when used vertical.

DSCF2716.JPG

1.JPG DSCF2696.JPG DSCF2697.JPG DSCF2706.JPG DSCF2707.JPG DSCF2713.JPG DSCF2711.JPG DSCF2712.JPG DSCF2709.JPG DSCF2710.JPG DSCF2716.JPG

Last edited:
Re: A few mods to my new log splitter

That looks great. It aint easy splitting a piece of wood and trying to keep it balanced, or worst, having to PICK UP THE PIECES again! The worst part of splitting os having to pick those things up. Good job.

I learned a long time ago I didn't like having to pick up the pieces that fell off the first split so I could split them again when I used to use a 21 ton MTD splitter. I made tables for both sides of it also.

I made the engine guard for this one because every once in a while a piece would explode and fly off of that MTD and hit the engine.

That looks really great and There was a time when I sure could have used a log splitter ....Split a lot of wood by maul...now I have a very short winter and it would not get enough use. Spledid job

Nice job and good idea. I have a 20 ton MTD, and yes it is a pain to need to pick up a piece to do a second split. I think this modification will be on my to do list.

Paul

Paul if your MTD has the cradles that most have its pretty easy to make tables for it. I still have the ones I made for the one I used to use(lost in divorce).

DSCF2717.JPGDSCF2718.JPGDSCF2719.JPG

The operators side is just a piece of 12" x 24" hardwood with a corner notched off. Just bolted it to the cradle with a couple of carriage bolts.

The other side I made so it sat level so it needed a support bracket. Upper part of the bracket was bolted to the cradle and the lower support just slipped over the lower flange of the beam.

DSCF2717.JPG DSCF2718.JPG DSCF2719.JPG

when i was doing wood, i found that a hay hook was my best friend, both for picking up the logs to split and to pick up the splits to stack. it gave my arm an additional 6-8 inches of length so the bending was minimal. they are cheap and work great. . .
one of your arms will like you, the other will probably rebel :)

The foot plate is about 3" above the ground level and I know from past experience its a pain to slide large(24" diameter and larger) onto the plate and hold them there while splitting. So Yesterday I made a grate to make it easier.

DSCF2721.JPG

Since I still have it indoors I'm thinking about making a slip on 4 way wedge for it today.

DSCF2721.JPG

I picked up this 30 ton log splitter as a xmas present to myself.

View attachment 92044

I decided it needed a few modifications for ease of use and to protect the engine and hydraulic filter.

Log tables.

View attachment 92045View attachment 92046View attachment 92047View attachment 92048View attachment 92049

Engine guard.

View attachment 92050View attachment 92051

Guard for the hydraulic filter housing, hose and a place to rest my foot.

View attachment 92052View attachment 92053

Tables can stay on when used vertical.

View attachment 92054

I like the improvements you have made. You should submitted your design to the manufacturer.

I never used a splitter. Grandparents used a lot of firewood, when I was growing up.

Back