A few of my past projects, firearms, steamer

mfim

Active User
Registered
Hi All, I posted some requested pics on the gunsmithing forum last nite. A "specialty" Hawken rifle, all stainless muzzleloading shotgun, did not purchase anything .270 on an accurized mauser action. And a model steam traction engine. Just thought I would share here. :))steam trac 004.JPGsteam trac 003.JPGsteam trac 002.JPGsteam trac 001.JPG

steam trac 004.JPG steam trac 003.JPG steam trac 002.JPG steam trac 001.JPG

Very nice. Care to give more info on the traction engine?

Ron

Nice work mfim, thanks for sharing;)

STEAMER INFO:sorry ozzie46, Here goes again, I have a good friend I worked with over 25yrs. We both retired some years ago. He moved 140 moles away. But we do projects together. We visit each other 6 to 10 times a year to exchange parts, ideas etc. On the cell phones daily free Verizon. We built 3 0f the steamers ( an extra to trade or sell ). We bought the plans online from the Hurst Foundation. They have a lot of old plans and projects from OLD Popular Mechanics magazines. They were full size of the scale and fully demensioned in fractions ( 1/64 ). Most materials available at steel, hardware, hobby stores. Boiler is made frim 1in. copper pipe with formed copper domes silver soldered on the ends. Instructions on pressure testing included in plans. Exterior boiler cover ( Firebox ) is 2 in. steel pipe. Rear wheels started as slices of 4 in. pipe.The pistin is .500 diameter, made of bearing bronze. The Cylinders we used 316 stainless. Each one had twenty 2-56 tapped BLIND holes. then four Deep .050 frilled holes into the !/16 milled slots for steam. But the most time consuming was the steam box., and it's internal parts. After MANY hours of polishing, tweaking, tinkering, adjusting, they run very smooth on only 6 lbs. of compressed air. They have a fuel tank ( coleman fuel ) under driver area that supply 2 wick type burners for heating the boiler for steam. The safety pop off is under the steam dome. The steam pressure gage is under the firewood on the right rear. The air shut off and hookup is under the firewood on the left side. The throttle is fully operational, from barely see it move, to about 1.5 feet per second top ground speed. Has the exhaust vented to the stack for draft in the firebox. so they even puff! They finish at about 16 in. long by about 8 in. high. You could make one twice the size in half the time. We had a good time and learned a lot on a 2 year, on and off project. Ended spring of 2011.Fall of 2011 Used $ from sale of extra steamer to buy Frank Dehass book on singleshot rifle actions, 2 rifle barrels, money left for heat treating, plating, etc. We started 4 actions last fall . Hope to have 2 rifles firing in a couple years. God willing. I have a post in "Gunsmithing" Dehass rifle.:))

Last edited:
Back