A few projects ive made to hone in a few skills as a beginner

nice work!

you got the right spirit ;)
why buy something for $27.50 when you can spend a week making it and spend $35 doing it ???:grin:
i do the same thing whenever possible or whenever impractical to do so, whichever may come first.

nobody can ever give you satisfaction, like you give you satisfaction !
keep up the good work, there is no limit to your satisfaction :tranquility:

+1 on what Ulma Doctor said,
Is it not what we are supposed to do, make tools to make other stuff, even though we could purchase them. Just think of it this way, you now have them if you need them for other things, and know you can modify them. Also you know what you have not what someone says you are getting.
Keep up the good work, I have not even thought about gears yet.

Making stuff is the fun part. They look great! The lessons learn are priceless, my best lessons are making tooling as you show, I am a bit jealous of the er chuck though:eagerness:

For me it is more of a financial thing. Why spend $20 - $30 for something if you happen to have a piece of stock to make it ? That money can then be used to buy stuff you can't make.
Plus there is the satisfaction of making something that works.

I find that there is a certain challenge from making tooling as there are tolerances that you need to match and thats the challenge also .

I have built steam engines from scratch with no plans however you can work around any mistakes to still make it run but to me this is not the same as building somthing like tooling were it needs to be pretty much bang on

These items i realise can be purchssed reasonably cheap however i decided to make them to gain a bit of skill along tbe way and learn .It also gives a sense of satisfaction to build your own gear

I like what you did and it looks great. I also like making my own tools and the satisfaction coming with it when it is done. Nice job.

For me it is more of a financial thing. Why spend $20 - $30 for something if you happen to have a piece of stock to make it ? That money can then be used to buy stuff you can't make.
Plus there is the satisfaction of making something that works.

All the way with you on that Bill.

Back