A few questions...

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
My Grizzly G8688 Mini Metal Lathe 7 x 12-Inch just came in this afternoon and I have a few questions

-This is my first ever using a lathe. When I turn the chuck, it seems like it's a tad harder and "rough." I don't know if this is normal or not.

-I bought the 3/8" carbide insert cutters. Which one is which? Which one is for turning, facing, etc.. I know the "E" one is for V grooving.

Vgi1v3f.jpg

-The AXA Quick Change Tool Post I bought has a bolt that's much larger than the original tool post's bolt. It will not thread into the hole. Do I get rid of that bottom metal plate that came with the new QCTP?

I was thinking either making the hole bigger where the bolt is supposed to thread into or turning the new bolt and then threading it to where the bottom thread will thread into the hole on the bottom. Or just get another piece of round bar and turn and thread it to where it'll fit the new QCTP but thread into the lathe.

moBYJIv.jpg

-Is there a way to "zero" the dials without a digital one? Like have the tip of your cutting tool touch the outside of your work piece, then zero the dial?

I can't help with the carbide, I've only used HSS.

I think AXA is too big for the 7x12, I got the OXA QCTP from Little Machineshop for my Sherline lathe and they recommend the same up to 9x lathes.

LMS recommends AXA for 9-12x lathes.

On my lathe I have zero resetable handles. There is a thumb screw that releases the dial from the handle allowing you to reset the dial to zero. Once set you tighten the thumbscrew make the handle and dial move together. This is an upgrade not included on the basic Sherline lathes. I'm not very familiar with the 7x12 lathes so don't know if they have a similar feature, it may be an upgrade you have to add.

Another comment that AXA toolpost is too large for your lathe. Also the toolpost screw and plate is made for the plate to be machined to fit a compound designed to use a slot to mount the plate, like my lathe.

Not the best picture but shows my AXA plate which was machined to fit the slot in my compound.

Grizzly_compound_scale_too_short_6356.jpg

You may get more comments on the tools if you also show the top shape.

I use "R" right hand tools for facing and machining diameter and chamfering on left side of a groove, etc.. I use "L" left hand tools for machining and chamfering on the right side of a groove or the right face of a part.

ugh.. paid $150 for the QCTP from Amazon and I already threw away the original packaging and Amazon will not accept the return if it doesn't include those.

ugh.. paid $150 for the QCTP from Amazon and I already threw away the original packaging and Amazon will not accept the return if it doesn't include those.

Ouch. That tool post is probably not going to work for more reasons than the attachment. You may have problems getting your tooling on center too. Might try to resell it and get the correct size.

Not sure what happened. A poster gave me an Amazon link to the 0XA tool post. I just checked the thread again and I confirmed that it went to an 0XA tool post on Amazon. I used that link to purchase the item. I'm looking at my Amazon order history and it says AXA.

AL and AR are turning tools. BL and BR are facing tools. E is for chamfering, can be used for larger threading but is not correct. On lathe tools R means it is for cutting toward the headstock. L is for cutting toward the tailstock. All can be used for other things as well. Think of it as which way you are approaching the work from and it won't be so confusing. Most of that is what the manufacturers say. How you use them is your business. There are plenty of tutorials online about recommended ways of using various lathe tools.

As Bob pointed out, you can use all of the tools for multiple operations. Basically, all of them use the same inserts. The shape of the support bar allows you to more easily set it up in your toolpost. The R and the L are right and left, but instead of meaning 'to the right', it means 'from the right'. The A and B refer to how much angle they are set to.

Just use them in whichever way they are most convenient for the operation. Avoiding collisions with the chuck is a main factor to consider.

This is my first ever using a lathe. When I turn the chuck, it seems like it's a tad harder and "rough." I don't know if this is normal or not.

I know absolutely nothing about your lathe. However, whenever I encounter something that works rough, I try to look and see if there is any obstruction or contamination. I also check to ensure that it is properly lubricated. I've "fixed" many things with those two simple steps.

Back