A Few Things I Have Done With My South Bend 7"

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sorry no pictures but here is a list of a few things I have done with my SB 7" over the past few months.

1) Cut flats on a 5/8" 316 Stainless steel rod. This rod had left hand threads on one end and right hand on the other. The threads were cut on my Logan lathe. It is used as a bob stay on a sailboat. The flats allow you to put a wrench on it so it works like a 3ft long turnbuckle.

2) Cut flats for a jack shaft.

3) Cut a step key. Yet another part for the Atlas mill. I don't have an 2 step original motor pulley but I did find two pulleys with the correct bore and close enough diameters. The pulleys had two different key sizes.
The smaller pulley had a narrow 5/32" keyway but the shaft and larger pulley were 3/16". I could have cut the keyway in the smaller pulley to match, but cutting a step key was less risky since the smaller pulley isn't something that is easy to find.

4) Making a rectangular bench block from a chunck of unknown scrap steel for my wife to use for jewelry making.

5) Turned a piece of scrap aluminum into a mounting bracket for a light on my drill press.

6) Stress relief. Just watching it run seems to lower my blood pressure.

at the moment watching mine is more like a game of cat and mouse .
It seems to enjoy playing hard to get and wanders around the shop quite rapidly .

That should change in a day or so when I make it into town to get some concrete anchors to hold it in place

Mine is mounted on a steel frame made from 2x2" tube. It has 4 adjustable feet with rubber bottoms and sits on concrete. It doesn't move at all. Most of my work has been small stuff using short strokes and slow speed so maybe if I cranked it up it would be more of a problem.

I bought an old 20" stroke Shaper at auction and made a under frame of 4" channel to make it easy to move with a pallet truck. When commissioning it I wired it up but my partner turned it on without checking the speed etc. It was in high gear and the stroke was not locked down so it was moving the full 20". The middle was probably a foot off of the floor it was only touching down alternately on the front and back at the end of each stroke. After shutting it down and cleaning his shorts we slowed it down and set a 8 " stroke and it worked great. What a tough old piece of iron. no damage.

Back