A flathead V-8 engine

From the mill the parts went to the lathe. The four jaw chuck was set up and the fixture plate with the body mounted to it was indicated both for concentricity and parallelism. This operation would be to turn the conical hub boss and bore for the O ring seal and ball bearings.

IMG_3600.JPG IMG_3604.JPG IMG_3607.JPG

From the lathe it was back to the mill and rotary table to spin the water inlet tube.

IMG_3612.JPG IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3619.JPG

With both water inlets done, to this point, the part was then moved to the center of the conical boss, indicated and clamped. It would be in this position for all the remaining machining except for machining and drilling the angular rib that supports the motor mount. The same profile drawing that was used for the back cover would also be used to do the outside shape of the body, except for the area around the support rib.
The hardest part is keeping track of all the steps and dimensions.

IMG_3624.JPG

Up next were 8, 2-56 flat head screws for mounting the back plate to the main body. The covers were installed and the screw heads brought down flush with the rear surface. With the parts assembled the remaining stock on the corners and around the inlet boss were burred, stoned and filed.
As can be seen on the one pump body there is a small nick at the base of the angular rib. I was using a .187 end mill with a .031 radius on the corners and was sneaking up to the main surface using a piece of paper as my gauge and went a tad too far. Oh well, 2 machines, multiple tooling changes, 200 cuts and 1 nick.

IMG_3628.JPG IMG_3630.JPG IMG_3633.JPG IMG_3636.JPG IMG_3639.JPG

Here's several shots of the pumps sitting on the front of the block.
gbritnell

IMG_3643.JPG IMG_3646.JPG IMG_3649.JPG IMG_3652.JPG

Man you don't mess around, totally awesome!

Gentlemen,
Time for an update.
The intake manifold is progressing well.
As with all these parts cut from solid I start from the inside. That means cutting the port runners. On this engine I decided on using 2 carbs, first of all for the aesthetics and second to shorten the length of travel for the intake charge. Each carb will feed 4 cylinders.
I squared up the block in the vise and then switched over to the angle table to put the ports in. The angle at the ends will match the entry angle into the block. I gave myself some layout lines but verified them with the edge finder. The dimensions were set and the table was tilted to the proper angle. I first went down with an end mill to establish a flat at the layout line. From here I could touch of the ball nosed mill and plunge down to the proper depth.

IMG_3666.JPG IMG_3669.JPG IMG_3672.JPG IMG_3676.JPG

The angle table was removed and the vise set back up. The block was mounted and the edges once again picked up. Zeros were set and the runners were milled. At this point I also put the mounting holes in.
Once the runners were finished I turned the block 90 degrees and cut the area out between the runners.

IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3685.JPG IMG_3691.JPG IMG_3694.JPG

Back