A flathead V-8 engine

In the picture of the finished left manifold mounted to the head I love how big it looks in front of the motorcycle until you see the cinder block wall behind the motorcycle. ;)
Dave

Like a piece of jewelry! Just WOW!!! Thanks for making the time to share the pics too!

I'm getting down to the last remaining parts on the engine.
Once I found the one-way bearing as a starting device I have put it on all my engines. The small engines I use a .375 diameter and the bigger engines I use a .500 diameter bearing. Rather than just mount a disc to the flywheel and to go along with all the other, "it looks like starter, or generator", I opted to make what looks like a clutch pressure plate. It's made in two pieces, the outer housing and the disc with the boss for the starter bearing. The outer housing pinches the disc against the flywheel by .002 but just to be sure it doesn't spin under load I used three 5-40 bolts that are positioned like the trunnion bolts on the full sized clutch.
The second set of pictures are of the dipstick flange, tube and stick. I'm always saving bits and pieces for possible use in my model work and I happened to have some stainless steel strips that go down the side of a windshield wiper blade. They are kind of like a spring steel but can be machined to the needed width. I cut a strip .104 wide, rolled the top and then machined a cap to go onto the top of the tube. The cap was drilled .106 diameter and then counter bored .156 diameter to go over the tube. The outside diameter has a small step at the top which I slotted with a slitting saw. This allowed the strip to slide through. I then positioned it and silver soldered it in place.
gbritnell

DSC00142.JPG IMG_5327.JPG IMG_5329.JPG IMG_5343.JPG IMG_5346.JPG

As always.. amazing! Thanks too for the pics and update.

Just a quick update on the engine progress. Piston rings were made and installed. Engine was assembled with oil in the pan and run by means of the lathe to loosen things up and check for oil pressure. Everything seems to work as it should.
I have two large pieces yet to complete, the base and radiator. There are also a handful of small components remaining, carb parts, throttle linkages, brackets, wire looms etc.
Having started on this project last August I am now over the one year mark with a couple of months left to completion. Not counting the hours of design and drawing I will be in the area of 1600-1800 hours.
gbritnell

Amazing work. A thing of beauty! :encourage:

Wow. I'm dumbfounded. Really.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gentlemen,
It's been awhile but I have been making progress. Since my last posting I have made quite a few bits and pieces. These were mostly cosmetic parts, starter, generator etc. as the internals are complete. The original intent, like my 302 V-8, was to create a running engine that cosmetically would replicate the full sized engine. These parts add to that look but are non functional, well the generator tightens the belt to operate the water pump. I also finished up the carb linkage and a miniature Moon racing type gas pedal.
gbritnell

IMG_5635.JPG IMG_5640.JPG IMG_5658.JPG IMG_5661.JPG

Back