A friend's 'contraption engine' project

Allen

Active User
Registered
A good buddy of mine (he's not online) decided a bit over year ago that he wanted a steam butt buggy. He has a 2HP Lookout vertical boiler,

and has purchased a Tiny Power M that he goes to pick up tomorrow. He also got himself a bunch of McCormick-Deering manure spreader parts and stray bits of junk.
Here's what he's put together so far

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats my type of man he even has a diferential in the setup
Go man GO
brian

Looks like he's got a good start!

it also looks like he likes steam by the steam tractor in the background.

I trust that you both will come up with a vidio I hope,,,,,,, everybody hopes. I can already see kerosene lamps, one red of course..

Now. that will be cool! Vintage, alternative multifuel energy AND "steampunk "too! It would be interesting to see that build.

Now this looks like a cool build!!!! Is he going to use yellow dogs for head lights??? Lol:lmao:

Chris

He's made some progress since August... He wants to mount a barrel on the front for feedwater. I suggested a square tank between the frame rails then put his little donkey winch on the nose just for giggles (or to help him get out of mud holes)
0912131149_zpsddade85f.jpg

0912131233_zpsc9bd0690.jpg

:goodjob: To my eyes this contraption is becoming a wonderment and a joy to behold, keep the pics coming please..

Bernard

It is my understanding that Cyrus McCormick did not stand behind any of his manure spreaders.:jester:
Interesting build

Ben brought it (still unfinished) to the Portersville fall show. He even steamed it Friday night for the folks there cooking apple butter.

It still has a few teething pains. He brazed the final drive sprocket to the wheel hub. Predictably, it broke the first time he tried to get it to move. I told him I'd weld it for him as soon as he got some cast rod. The governor also hunts... badly. We think the spring was swapped out at some point, and it's pretty worn. So if anyone knows someone who rebuilds Pickerings, he'd really like the contact info.

Back