A good light weight mill

I had a BP clone (2050 lbs) and a complete machine shop sitting on a wood floor for years in a 12x14 space. You might have to beef your floor up a bit. If space is an issue then I can't advise you there. Or you can do what I did and get a bigger shop and fill it up too. :grin:

Cut a hole in the floor and pour a concrete footing where you want the mill. A friend of mine has done this in his shop and it works great. The requirements you are asking for equals a full size mill which equals 2,000 to 3,000 pounds.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I was hoping to find something better than a Grizzly but doesn't seem to exist. I appreciate all the advice but I am unable to do most of the things suggested. I don't want a Mill that I need to shift belts on to change speeds so that leaves either a gear head or direct drive. My lathe weighs 1000 lbs so I guess I can deal with 750 lbs with a mill. I have a smaller Grizzly now so will likely buy a bigger one from them.

A used Bridgeport is an obvious choice but I simply don't have enough room for a machine that big. My shed is 12x24 and sitting on rented land and full of a lotof other things I don't wish to dispose of sooooo. Is there a better quality mid size mill than a Grizzly?

Pete

Last edited:
A step up from a Chinese mill would be one made in Taiwan. Matt @ precisionmatthews.com has several.

Ah...richl beat me by about 30 seconds. :)

Back