A hack saw attachment for the lathe?

I think my lathe with the VFD and all will go down to 1 RPM... i doubt there is much power way down there but that is very very slow .
I doubt I would ever use it faster than 2 strokes a second and that is so slow that I doubt much vibration would be made....
so vibration is the least of my worries at this point.
how to guide the hack saw itself and weight it and provide a spot for it to not saw anything when starting or stopping is a concern ....
I was thinking at first that I'ed just hook one of my hacksaws hanging on the wall to it but the more I think of it that would not be such a good idea
for a few reasons..... depth of cut is one.... strength is another.... so I will more than likely make my own bow for the blade.... and if I do that I just as well go buy some good hefty power hacksaw blades and make it to fit them !
..... I mean if I am going to make something like this ...make it a good one , not something just thrown together .... which I am apt to do on occasion !
LOL..... something I can cut 1"x6" plate with, or as small as 1" bar stock.
i think looking at power hacksaws would help allot , to see how they are made, why there made that way etc,etc.
and yes it would be just as easy to make it a stand alone unit and not need the lathe at all..... i guess it depends on how much work I want to put into this idea....
hummmm
the main thing is it's gott'a be built from what I have on hand ....I can't afford to run out and buy allot of parts for whatever reason... I mean it took 3 weeks to get a on off on switch that cost only $7.99 ...so buying stuff is almost totally out of the question....
so that reduces it alot... the original idea of something that I could attach to the lathe real fast to cut 1.25" solid steel axle in half is all I really want....
something that I could watch work and not something like the reciprocating saw,... work it !
i'll draw it up in Blender and see what I can come up with !
Bob.......

Several Years ago my SIL used a hand held hacksaw and an electric motor to make a powered hacksaw. The idea was good but the parts he used fit loosely so it didn't work real well. As I recall keeping the saw from flopping side to side was a big challenge.
Have a good day
Ray

I'm surprised no-one has suggested you to buy a $100 HBS . I believe that would be money well spent and you would have better usage for it . ( but I do understand why ) If I can make something for $500 that I could buy for $100 , 90% of the time I make it .. :rolleyes:

please excuse my ignorance here... your SIL what is S I L ?
speed is a major factor in something like this.... but yes there will have to be guides or something to keep it from failing around !
I remember as a Kid on the Ranch I wanted a saw mill so I had a bow saw blade and a drill and thought why can't I just make a crank from a big nail put it through the hole in the blade and saw wood that way... so I tried it.... and the drill was not variable speed either , the stroke was about 1" in and 1" out........ I hit the trigger on the drill and all heck broke loose ! it wound up spinning like a fan blade at arms length ! it made about 6 strokes on the 2"x4" board and then got air born ! as I backed away from the board it became a prop ! the drill took a long time to wind up and wind down
but that little incident cured me of the recpicating saw mill idea for many years ! ....I did eventually build a bandsaw sawmill that worked fairly well
made quite a bit of lumber with it..... but have sense dismantled it ...... you wouldn't think a 5hp B&S engine would cut a log.... but it did ! I switched to an 8hp B&S and that worked much better on oak ! ....i mounted it on a flat bed trailer..but that flat bed trailer was not flat ! it had a bow in it
so all my wood has this slow curve in it about 2" in 12 feet ! LOL..... oh well it did work for short stuff ! HAHAHAHA
....Bob......

I'm surprised no-one has suggested you to buy a $100 HBS . I believe that would be money well spent and you would have better usage for it . ( but I do understand why ) If I can make something for $500 that I could buy for $100 , 90% of the time I make it .. :rolleyes:
HA ! well yah I know what ya Mean ! the harbor freight metal cutting bandsaws haven't been $100 bucks in 20 years ! i'ed love to have one ! I really would but they are $250 . now for their smallest one that can only cut 4" stock !
problem is I've spent my wad for this year already on the lathe ! LOL I don't think my wife would look too kindly on me coming home with something like that...... I'ed be eating Ramen noodles for a month straight !
( I used to say I'ed be eating beans for a month but beans are too expensive any more ! LOL)
living on SSI sure has its downfalls .... I get $589 a month is all, and the wife gets double that.... ( thank God !) early retirement is not the way to go and you can't go back and start the game over either !
zigged when I should'a zagged , what can I say ! LOL....
My Step dad used to say " if steam boats were a nickel a dozen I couldn't afford the echo off their whistle ! " HAHAHAHA
later guys !
Bob..........

SIL = sister in law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Son in law. Well that is unless rock_breaker's sister in law is so manly that Ray calls her a he. :D

Whoops! Missed that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok thanks for the education <GRIN> the point was that it flopped around alot..... and that is more than likely because of the speed of the electric motor and or the loose fitting bolts.....
I have seen several home made powered hack saws some very sophisticated in their design but I think a basic hack saw would do the trick
one that sticks in my mind was a length of rod that pivoted somewhere near the motor and the moving hacksaw followed the rod and weights were added to the rod for faster cutting..... having the ability to raise and lower the saw at will like that has got to be very handy !
the guy also incorporated a kill switch in it to turn off the motor when the blade passed through the metal in the vice and fell about 1/2" to it's doward stop.... problem was that he forgot to make it where it turned off power to the motor completely because when he lifted it it turned it self back on !
HAHAHAH...... he just broke the flow of power with a momentary contact switch..... which worked but gave a strange result !
but a single arm holding the sliding saw would be the way to go I would think....
in this case you could have the pivot of the arm above the crank conection because the rod from the crank needs to pivot on the saw end as well
so as long as you didn't bind it up or something it should move the saw back and forth no matter where it's at !
..... I have an abundance of galvanized 1" water pipe here that I will probably make that arm out of.....
so the pivot arm and the rod follower /stroke adjustment thing that pivots at the same point .....should take care of the stability issues
of course the saw slide itself will be interesting.... I am thinking 2 pipes one on top the other about 4" apart as the slide rails and simple slightly larger pipe as the slides..... lined with copper as bushings and it should be good to go !,......but I will have to turn the slides down to get that galvanize off them and make them smooth !
.....it should be an interesting build that's for sure ! LOL.....
Bob..........

Not lathe driven, but is this what you mean?

'twas $10 at a junk shop and come cleaning up and mounting...

Back