A hack saw attachment for the lathe?

Ian Bradley mentioned this in one of his books. Basically he fashioned a T-shaped toolholder, where each end of the crossbar of the T had a nut&bolt for clamping a hacksaw blade. The upright of the T goes in the lathe or shaper toolholder. He used portions of hacksaw blades, and had different holders for different lengths of blades. Good use for a broken hacksaw or bandsaw blade.

Check out the fifth post here for an example (not as described, just a thick post with a hacksaw blade clamped in a slot on the end).

Fan man : Yes.... but the one I saw was bigger and had no gears it was pulley driven throughout.....
but I like the raising arm on it.... get it up and out of the way when clamping down your work and then bring it back down for the cut....
that's a good design I think !

I drew up a version on Blender I will try to post a pic of it in a bit .....
and thanks for the clarification Ray !

Bob.........

in the picture above the dark blue part is what goes into the 3 Jaw chuck for power to the saw....( so your looking at a 3D view)
the white plate is what will become the table, so there would be 2 parts, the saw and the table.
...that's all I have for now !
Bob........

agreed ! welding that would be stupid ! with no way to get it off ! you will have to replace bushings at some point !
and oil holes in the slide tubes as well ....
i like the idea that is is 2 seperate pieces the saw and then the table... which clamps to the lathe.... easier to mess with that way.
should have ball bearings on chuck spindle and the connecting rod on both ends as well as a line of threaded holes on the flywheel for stroke adjustment
....at first I was thinking a single crank of say 3" that pushed and pulled a lever and the lever had a arm to the saw....for stroke adjustment....
but if we do it this way..... it's easier and much less complicated, with fewer moving parts which is always a good thing ! <grin>
Bob....

Not a power hacksaw ... but the October issue (and subsequent issues) of Model Engineers' Workshop (www.model-engineer.co.uk, US phone number 866-647-9191) has an article on making a scroll saw/filing attachment for a lathe. Might have some worthwhile ideas for you.

Humm I haven't looked through my gingerly books lately I think I have the shaper , lathe and one other....might be worth looking ! Thanks !
in the video... that is the idea !.....there are 100 ways to do the slides at least, the simpler the better ! but they need to work good and not allow any flopping around !
I'm just sick and tired of using the reciprocating saw with wore out blades on it to try and cut 1.5" diam. steel by the time I'm done doing that I am in pain with my Arthritis ! Big time ! and yes I do use cutting oil and go fairly slow but even with a new blade it takes at least 30 minutes !
with a dull blade in it .... twice that time.... so a GOOD saw is in order !....
thanks for the help !
Bob......

Back