A hand held drill chuck that doesn't s*%k

My Milwaukee keyless, cordless locks on the bit all the time now. I think it is happening from the bit getting caught on the break through. You didn't hear it from me, but a pipe wrench on the chuck is how a friend get's it unstuck....

Reminds me of mine. Mikwaukee tools are great but the chucks on some their cordless drills suck. Not all were known to have problems but many did. Mine was a model that was known to have chuck problems but I only experienced them once in a while & not all the issues.

Locking up & can't loosen is one common problem. Some people have to smack the chuck to get it to loosen.

If I hadn't bought the battery AND charger, I would have just got another drill. Just about anything is probably better than what I have. But I did. :(

I'll check out Amazon or Ebay. First I need to know what I need to get!

Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Rohm-893352-Extra-RV13-Through-Hole-Diameter/dp/B00DD7KS5O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=23OVKZH3MWEQZ&dchild=1&keywords=rohm+1/2-20&qid=1591669156&sprefix=Rohm+1/,aps,262&sr=8-3

Be sure to check diameter too. Some drills have a recess for the torque selector ring so if yours does make sure the new chuck will fit.

The more expensive chucks are probably for hammer drills. Come to think of it, my past 3 cordless drills were are hammer drills & had ratcheting chucks. So what I said before about ratcheting chucks I may be mistaken. Perhaps cordless drills that don't have the hammer feature don't have ratcheting chucks?

You can find drill bits with flats ground on the shanks, that prevents spinning on the chuck jaws !

Bosch cordless drills come with Rohm chucks from the factory. I gotta plug for power tools made in Switzerland and other locations in the EU that have a firm grasp on Quality with a capital "Q". It's incredibly good stuff.

The burr on your drill shank may be removed with an India stone. It's an eventual fact of life with drills for one cause or another.

+1 on the Rohm chucks. I have a Rigid brand corded drill that came with a Rohm chuck. It's been excellent: holds
the drills securely doesn't chew them up and is easy to use. Worth the money in my opinion.

The LH threaded screw came out of the chuck, once I wrapped the chuck in rubber and grabbed it in a vise. It's an M6x1 with a conical taper for the head. However, the chuck itself doesn't want to unthread. There appears to be a 14mm set of flats, but one needs a cone wrench (very thin wrench) to get to it. Actually only guessing at the width, as my calipers won't fit in the gap. The gap is 0.140" between the chuck and the drill body. Would getting a cone wrench help? Or grind down a throw-away wrench? It appears the flats are on the chuck side. The other side (the drill side) as nothing to grip. How does this chuck come off? Grab which piece relative to the other?

i have made wrenches from sheetmetal and milled or ground them to size

i'm still impressed with my Milwaukee drill chucks- they got their game together with the ratcheting type

Most people just stick a big hex key (like 10mm) in the chuck (grip the hex key with the chuck jaws). Then stick a pipe on it for leverage or give it a good whack with a hammer. Mine wouldn't budge with a pipe & I didn't want to damage one of my good hex keys, I didn't have any spares.

I made a 12mm hex out of 4140 & used my impact gun to get mine off. Mine was a 9/16" thread chuck.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-misc-quickie-projects.76777/page-2#post-746568

Back