A journey of one-thousand miles...........

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a couple of lathe projects that I really want/need to get done. But my lathe could use a bit of upgrade. I have a 12" Logan turret lathe, with duel tool post cross slide. On top of that I have a compound from a 9" Southbend. This was done prior to my purchasing the lathe. The Southbend compound is mounted into a 1/2" thick round plate which used SHC screws to push the brass rods which pull the compound tight and hold position. That plate is mounted to the cross slide with 2 T-nuts.

It's not a terrible way to do it, even though it isn't technically correct. However, the mounting plate is round under the compound and allows the compound to rock just a bit under heavy cuts. My plan is to make a replacement mounting plate, which will cover the entire front tool post mount on the cross slide as well as completely support the compound. This will also allow me to be more precise in setting the compound angle.

In order to make the plate, I need a fly cutter. I found a small fly cutter in the boxes of 'stuff' that came with the lathe. It's not large enough to cover the entire surface of the plate I need to make. It also only holds 5/16" tool bits, of which I have very few. I did have a cemented carbide bit that I was using, until it chipped. So, I really need to get a better fly cutter. Might as well make one......

I also found in the 'box o' stuff' that came with the lathe an R8 arbor. So, I'm going to use that as the starting point of a larger fly cutter.

So, I'm building a tool, so I can build a part, so I can upgrade my machine, so I can build my projects.

Sorry, there's really no content in this post, I just felt like putting it all down while the coffee brews. Now, off to the shop.

Welcome to the real world. We all make tools to make tools....... to finish projects. I just found out that the stock of oilite bushings I have have, have two different flange OD's. Seems they've changed diameters over the many years the projects have been in the works.

I went to vo-tech in 78 and 79. Started my own shop in 1980. Since that then, over half my shop time is rebuilding machines and making tooling. of course, I am WAY to cheap to buy new.

The only thing that separates men ( and women ) from apes/monkeys is the ability to make and use tools . Hmmm...…………...guess that means I work with a ……… ……………… ! :cautious::grin:

The only thing that separates men ( and women ) from apes/monkeys is the ability to make and use tools . Hmmm...…………...guess that means I work with a ……… ……………… ! :cautious::grin:

Then again, there's the hairy body thing, too ....

:grin: I shouldn't go here , but I've seen some …..well never mind . You know where I'm going with this . o_O

And we can buy beer. :grin::beer:

Chimps use tools, I watched a tv special where they use a stick to get termites to eat

Back