A kit for measuring what?

eugene13

Registered
Registered
A retiring co-worker gave this kit to my son a few years ago, and told him it's for setting up the ring and pinion in large mining equipment rear ends. It came with no instructions, and I have no real use for it, but I couldn't beat the price. The straight edge is marked L.S. Starrett and has a T slot cut in both sides, the rod is 1/2" dia. The dial indicator is also Starrett and .250" range, I like the cute little device that changes it from a plunger type into a lever type. the last part slides over the mag base rod, I assume it's come sort of a clamp. Does anyone have a clue as to what this used for, or how to use it?

Attachments

• IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 71
It's used to set the backlash and pinion depth on a rear end. Unless you are doing automotive gear work the overall kit is not very useful, but a very nice general use indicator set. Very handy to have.

That looks like most of a regular Starrett test set, there are other accessories for it to increase its usefulness; I have one NIB with all but one of the accessories. The #5 pic. shows the accessory that is missing from the first set ( from the B&S set), for measuring off of a square edge, the other similar accessory is made to measure off of a dovetail feature. The set you have is by no means specific to rear axle gear setup, it is made for general alignment testing, and is a regular Starrett catalog item. The last picture shows a nearly identical set made by Brown & Sharpe, that has the square edged accessory that is missing from the Starrett set. The magnetic indicator stand is of course also a regular catalog item and is a quite handy thing to have around the shop.

Attachments

• test sets 001.JPG
    test sets 001.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 63
  • test sets 002.JPG
    test sets 002.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 62
  • test sets 003.JPG
    test sets 003.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 57
  • test sets 004.JPG
    test sets 004.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 53
  • test sets 005.JPG
    test sets 005.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 55
  • test sets 006.JPG
    test sets 006.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the information, I do build a lot of automotive differentials, but nothing big enough to use this set. I will hang onto this, maybe the mine will need one of their coal hauler differentials rebuilt. :)That would be a good reason to buy a bigger gantry, arbor press and.....

The Starrett “Universal Back Plunger Dial Indicator” set is very common. And I know I’m gonna hear it! But it has that 196 indicator. IMHO a piece of junk, just like the Last Word, sorry Starrett. You have the Starrett “Inspection Set”. Not seen as much? And is better all-round tool for the shop. That’s a keeper…Dave

Piece of junk? Not IMNotSoHO One of my mainstays going on 50 years now. Bought me houses, vacations cars and trucks, fed my wives, kids and dogs. There is work and tools suited to each other. When it has to be 'perfect' my go-to is still a .0001 Last Word 711-D-10 BZ,
even better my .000005 B&S. Last Words certainly have faults, Long Island Indicator.com is THE reference for most all things metrology.

Before milling and jig bore machines; with gauge blocks, depth mics and toolmaker buttons, the 196 and Last Words, were dialing in die-work and machine parts on face plates, in LATHES.
Some that are still running today.

Last edited:
Back