A little advice needed on miter joints

No doubt about it: those joints would be beautiful with two different metals. Such an application is something I considered. One thought I had was to make the sides out of aluminum and the pegs/screws out of brass. That would look pretty nice - assuming, of course, the finished product is not painted.

Thanks for responding.

Regards
Box or finger joint would be especially appealing to my eye with alluminum and brass. Set up would be much simpler than a dovetail and I like the look better.

I think you are making it more difficult than it should be. If you align the corner assembly ( clamp a block into the corner of the joint) and then drill it as an assembly (drill, counter drill, countersink and tap) it should work perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! That's a very thoughtful suggestion. I had to read it several times to visualize it, but I think I've got it. (Do you have such a setup? Any pix?) I see what you mean about milling the miter being the 'tricky part'. That step would definitely require a lot of precision.

Thanks for the suggestion. Making the fixture would be a challenging and fulfilling exercise in itself.

Regards.
No photo but Google art frames and fir woodworking there are many options as samples

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Wow! That's a very thoughtful suggestion. I had to read it several times to visualize it, but I think I've got it. (Do you have such a setup? Any pix?) I see what you mean about milling the miter being the 'tricky part'. That step would definitely require a lot of precision.

Thanks for the suggestion. Making the fixture would be a challenging and fulfilling exercise in itself.

Regards.
We do have a drill guide or 2 that we have made for various projects.

One was steel and other aluminum.

We needed a square to surface hole at a repeatable place reference to a corner so we took flat aluminum and milled it out so it could rest on the surface with a recessed area causing 2 faces for stops

We then dug in the bolts and since we had many 5/8 grade 2 leftover from shop we drilled and tapped 5/8 on the plate where the hole needed to be and in the lathe drilled the 1/4 hole in the bolt and then screwed it into the plate and held with jamb nut.

Easy to make and length of bolt insures hole is drilled straight with portable drill so clamping your project can be done flat

If you offset the hole then flipping fixture allows it to be used on 2 sides

Have one side be centered and other side as the offset one

It then can be used first to drill holes then before moving tap them as it holds tap straight too.

Then use Allen set screws to temporary hold in place then flip and do last &olé on other side needing 2.

Insert final screws then do next corner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

There's a way to cut a lengthwise dove tail that pulls the joint tight and locks it in place . I use to use in drawers I built in wood. I think it would work in metal it's a little bit like a gib on a machine slide.

Back