A little advice needed on miter joints

Would you consider welding the joints on the inside?
Robert
Thanks, Robert.

Yes, life would be much simpler with a weld, but my application requires a clean, crisp inside corner.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Terry

I always use 18-8 Stainless Steel Hex Drive Flat Head Screws for that type parts.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-flat-head-screws/=19o7tzi

92210ac1-b01l.png
I thought about using a countersinking screw, but I need the outside surface to be flat, flat, flat. Maybe I'm underestimating myself, but I was concerned that over- or under-cutting the countersink might result in a very ugly mismatch. Do you run into that issue?

Regards,
Terry

Set the depth stop on the drill press and they will look very professional! Make the head just slightly under the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tjb
I thought about using a countersinking screw, but I need the outside surface to be flat, flat, flat. Maybe I'm underestimating myself, but I was concerned that over- or under-cutting the countersink might result in a very ugly mismatch. Do you run into that issue?

Regards,
Terry
Because flat head screws have a short cylindrical section, there would be a small groove on the circumference of the screw head if the screw was set flush. There would be two work-around's. Use a countersink the same diameter as the screw head or very slightly larger or set the screw proud and machine them flush after the box was assembled. Another technique would be to use a low profile socket head cap screw and set it below the surface and follow with a plug. With finishing, the plug would virtually disappear into the wall of the box.

It may be sufficient to use aluminum rivets. Two cross drilled holes from each side should prevent the joint from opening. A swab of LocTite inserted into the hole before driving the rivet will help to hold it tight. make a small scratch on the side of the rivet to permit any trapped gas or liquid to escape. After seating the rivet, machine it flush and finish for a virtually invisible fastener.

When I was making aluminum cases for custom electronic enclosures, I would, on rare occasion, put a hole in the wrong place. To repair the hole, I would countersink from both sides and make a short aluminum plug. I carefully peened over on both sides and finished flush. then I wire brushed with a fine wire wheel which resulted in an invisible repair. It was a bunch of work and enough of an annoyance that I was more careful not to repeat the error but it saved a case that I had considerable time invested in.

If you were making them from two different metals (eg, brass and aluminium) woodworking 'box joints or dovetails would look the nicest. As it is, if properly finished, you wouldn't see much of any joint so you 'need' the different light reflection from machining marks A small dovetail cutter ain't very expensive but mounting bars upright may be a clearance issue? There are plenty of tutorials for woodwork dovetails, some VERY EXPENSIVE wood planes are made with steel, brass or bronze dovetail plate bodies (or combinations of same) Even a Norris' style kit isn't cheap
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Norris-type-steel-dovetail-17-jack-plane-kit-/172856457356

Last edited:
Two ways to stop the drill from walking sideways.

1. Use a 2 flute endmill smaller than the tap drill size. Plunge down until you have a full diameter flat landing spot in the lower piece. Tap drill and tap.
2. Make a drill bushing guide plate that you clamp on top to guide the drill.

Drill bushings are hardened steel cylinders that guide the drill so it cannot walk.

Try this with scrap...

Build a fixture to hold parts and that is easy...Place angle iron on flat plate with bolts or welds then with end mill make true and cut both x and y at same setup so mill table accuracy is transferred to fixture.

Make another fixture for holding at 45 degree angle.

Both fixtures hold material with standing on small side and lengthwise along the table.

Last fixture is a chunk of metal that fits over the end or corner and has holes pre drilled as guides.

Next make all lengths correct and square.

Using top fixture place parts in but the corners are clamped tight in butt joints.

Place the last fixture over the end on the outside part and drill holes through the outside of that part then into the end of other part.

Witness mark both parts.

Now swap orientation of parts and drill opposite holes.

Now tricky part.

Mount 45 degree fixture and cut the miter with standard end mill.

If you can get all done well and the miter are not over cut the predrilled holes now will line up and miter perfect.

You also could just use the drill guide with the first fixture to hold the fully machined parts then drill the holes.

Given you are grinding off screws and powder coating then the pins can be anything that can be soldered so you could solder instead of screws.

Last option is taper pins which would require modifying the reamer for shorter length or drill deeper holes or both.

Then smacking the taper pin in would be a tight fit without any gaps.

A drop of lock tight insures no movement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Aluminium has a particular affinity for stainless steel and will corrode over time. For a tray it may not be a problem but making over-length aluminium pins then shrink or force fitting them (plus cut and polish after fitting) would give a just about invisible joint. It will probably be a lot more work making pins but could easily end up with a 'How did he do that?' piece

I have never had an issue except in salt water. If the application is near water, I use anti seize.

Back