A little bummed!

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The maker space in Baltimore where I took classes (The Foundery) on welding, milling, lathe, lathe tool grinding and metal cutting is closing. They say they are going to reopen elsewhere but you never know about these things. I hope they do....it was a great place to learn basics.

If that's your only work space I can understand your feelings. However, there's got to be another place somewhere in the area teaching similar items, I'd suspect. Barring that, teaming up with other locals and sharing knowledge?

Yes a makerspace is a good place to learn/brush-up on metal working skills. I recently took a 3 hour hands-on introduction to welding course (o/x, stick, MIG) at “The Forge” in Greensboro NC. It was just what I needed to gain a little confidence that I could still weld after 45 year's of no welding.

Best of luck in them the reopening!

I have most of the machines to do the work but it is nice to have a place to learn the basics or be able to use equipment I don't have or if I need something with more capability.

Hm ...............Dan , were they on Plank's property ? Just a fact of life , most people don't have the time or the money to support such a place as that . $$$$ is involved for everything . I'm sure they rented a building ? Leased machinery or was it donated ? Tooling ? I'm not even sure if Cate State has a MTT program running over there these days . Maybe Dundalk CC ? If things keep going the way they are in here at work , I'll be starting up a shop very soon ! In-fortunately , these days shops are run by bean counters and not machinists . And there are just not machinists hanging on the street corners begging for jobs . :rolleyes: We can't hire them , so we get to do 3 times the work for the same pay in the same time period , but enough is enough . LLC is the way to go these days , and that's where I'm heading .

Hey mmcmdl, I'm not sure if Plank owns it or not but I'm sure rent was probably high because it's in that vicinity. And I'm not sure about where equipment came from. I didn't think prices were too bad. Hopefully they find a more affordable home.

And good luck with your job stuff. It would be great if you could make a go of it on your own.

You still have to come up one day . :grin: I have to clear out to have space to move in ! :rolleyes: Keep your eyes on CL in the near future , it's getting to be that time of year .

I have looked in my area. Unfortunately the only classes available are in Rocklin and Sacramento CA, about 2 hours from me.
Sometimes living in rural America has it's disadvantages.

Some of the Maker's Spaces that I've seen seem to have one thing in common, they like to setup shop (pardon the pun) in 'high rent' districts.
That to me seems counter-intuitive.

This place was near the Underarmor HQ and the founder is taking over the whole area that used to be industrial. He is developing it so rents are likely going up.

Back