A little confused, need help

It should work OK. It common to use a VFD somewhat larger in capacity than the motor, especially with Chinese VFD's. So, for a three HP motor it might be worth going to a bit bigger VFD than the one you are looking at. But it is rated for 2.2 KW, which is 3 HP...

I figured I had better ask before pushing the button. It was the way they list the input voltage that had me a little concerned..

on a milling machine you are not likely to use the full HP of the motor.
I also would consider using a VFD that is Overrated , if the mill ig going into heavy use.

I put a similar VFD on my Shenwai 1236 lathe. i got a 3hp motor and a 3hp VFD.
my lathe doesn't see continuous, heavy use.
the VFD has survived for 2 years now without a hitch
you results may vary

Is the question one of concept, or suitability of this particular unit?

I have a Hitachi for my mill, and it works fine. I'm always a bit leery of low-price electricals. For something like a DRO, no big deal. But 220 line voltage, well...

Just my opinion, though.

Is the question one of concept, or suitability of this particular unit?

I have a Hitachi for my mill, and it works fine. I'm always a bit leery of low-price electricals. For something like a DRO, no big deal. But 220 line voltage, well...

Just my opinion, though.

I went ahead and ordered it, hopefully it was not a mistake.
Ive seen some of these vfd's rated at 2.2KW, but at only 3-4 amps. This one is rated for 10 amps. On a 3hp motor wired low voltage amp draw is 7.2 amps, and on a 2 hp motor wired the same it would be 3.9 amps, so I think I should be ok??
Further down in the e bay listing it said something about 308v normal input voltage, thats where I started second guessing things..

The 308 could have been a typo. 208 VAC is what you get line to line with 120/208 wye system.

Back