A little detail work - Stutz Fire Truck

Amigo

Registered
Registered
Here are a few shots of a 1914 Stutz fire truck I made a few details for.
I made the 5" Dia. vented gas cap, the Acorn & timed jam nuts on the radiator support rods, made new spring loaded plunger assy. for throttle & timing levers and the ladder retainer shafts.

This is a friends shop where the major body restoration work was done.
The restorer friend told me the engine block was of a high nickle alloy, monel? and is extremely heavy. The engine was rebuilt by a specialty shop in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
The owner has since put this truck in a museum in Indianapolis.

I apologize for the photo disorder and lack of narrative for each photo as I simply do not know how to do that. This is my first attempt ever at posting photos onto the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knudsen, Yes, One lever for Ignition timing and the other is for throttle. When the water pump is engaged, the engine speed needs to be controlled from the ground. That type of throttle is typical of that era.

Tough to see in the photo, but the half circle ring has fine "teeth" on both the inner and outer circumferences. The spring loaded plungers in the levers have a wedge shape on the outer end that engages the "teeth" on the ring.

Jimbo, the wood is actually a liner over steel on the sides.
The gas cap, with finger notches has a taper thread.
The radiator support shaft acorn nuts are threaded 1"-14 and are 1 3/8" across the flats. To be truly authentic, they would have been nickle plated steel, but these are stainless polished to optical brilliance using 3000 grit diamond and then dusted down with Linde A on surgical cotton. The owner wanted "bling".

Was there a particular reason that this truck is right hand drive?

bollie7

Re right hand drive

As I understand it, Prior to 1914 /15 it was state law in force, so some drove RH some LH,. after it was unified to
LH drive. If my american history is correct.

regards BRIAN

Back