A little do-dad

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just learning the lathe, and made a little clutch disc thickness measuring tool. This is for high maintenance, adjustable type performance sintered iron clutch discs to monitor clutch wear. I don't know what ACE has for set screws, so I still have to drill, and tap it. Kinda plane Jane looking, gotta get a knurling tool. Oh, and I made a round nose HSS tool too....

I'm going to be looking at an Eagle Rock scissors type knurling tool per Mikey.... my particular one is a little difficult to get, back ordered etc. I got behind in time zones today, try again tomorrow.

For those looking at an Eagle Rock scissors knurler, there are two general models, the heavy duty K1-44 and the lighter K1-201. The key differences are that the K1-44 retains the pins with set screws while the K1-201 requires you to press out the pins every time you want to change wheels. The K1-44 is also slightly heavier built and is a better tool, at least in my opinion. @darkzero can give you more info.

I have gotten conflicting part numbers for my PM 1228, so first call will be to Eagle Rock....

Yep the K1-201 is the more common one due to the price & is also the one that is copied by many. The K1-44 is their heavy duty model, as the name implies built much beefier. As Mike mentioned, aside from the added strength, the K1-44 uses set screws for the pins & the K1-201 uses press fit pins. I use solid carbide pins on my K1-44. I know someone on another forum who actually was successful at pressing in carbide pins on their K1-201 but it's not an easy task. I was surprised he was able to even do it. If you change knurling pitch often like I do pressing the pins in & out will get annoying very fast.

K1-201 is fine for most uses though. The K1-44 is one of those tools that are not hobbyist friendly due to the price. If you are patient & lucky you might find a K1-44 on ebay from someone not knowing what they have & get it cheap. I got mine for $80 shipped & it was brand new. Found @mikey one too for a similar steal.

You don't need carbide pins for general use though. I mostly knurl grade 5 titanium (all Ti shown below). I love my K1-44. This reminds me, I need to play with my cut knurlers still.

Edit: Sorry to the OP, pics deleted. I'll just leave this link instead.

That's drool material, BIG TIME....

I have gotten conflicting part numbers for my PM 1228, so first call will be to Eagle Rock....

Best to call them. There are different shanks and the knurls can be on one side or the other. Their website truly sucks so I would call them and make it clear what you need before laying down bucks.

Wow that's some nice work Will!

Back