A little help with my Husky A1S mill

And to complete things, here's the motor connections as they are today for 120V

connection.jpg

If running 220V you want a switch that breaks both sides of the line (called "double pole"). The Woodman D4157 switch illustrated will do that. I am not sure about the one that came on your mill. Instructions for the woodman are below.

You can also use one of these, which I typically use as the disconnect for a VFD setup, although its slightly more $:
Bryant 30002D manual motor controller (disconnect switch), 30A, 600 VAC, 2-pole, 15hp

I have an electrician coming out tomorrow and he will do the 240V wiring/old motor hook up. I will likely need a new outlet for my 240V connection as well as the switch. Hopefully that does the trick. If not, then more $$$ will be spent.

Is the image below what he will need to properly wire the motor up (from the Grizzly user manual)?
wiring.JPG

That diagram appears to have come from here, which seems to show a rotary switch for forward/reverse operation, with your diagram showing the rotary switch part.

The switches mentioned earlier will just do on/off so may not be appropriate, and I am not sure that the G0728 configuration matches your actual setup.
The wiring shown in your machine pictures does not seem to line up with all of this, and the taped connections are certainly suspicious.
NEMA 10-50 implies using 50A circuit which would not be appropriate here, see the Grizzly page for correct plug/wire.
I would expect that your electrician should be able to sort this out, you should really leave it to him to be safe.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply Pete

I am going to have an electrician come out and do this right. The biggest challenge as I understand it is that the old motor has no wiring diagram on the label and no manufacturer's name either. I'm not sure if he'll be able to hook up the motor to 240V properly without the diagram.

It would also be useful to draw out all of the connections that are currently inside the motor, with the wire labels, that appear in your post #21. The capacitor will be in series with the starter winding, which is likely the 2 wires on the left. The other 3 wires are likely the 2 main windings, probably already tied in series inside the motor. From such a diagram you could probably figure out the needed configuration for 220V (main windings in series, starter in parallel with one main winding).

Last edited:
Hi all - I know it's been just about forever since I last responded on this thread but long story short, I wanted to get a real electrician in to help me and that took time (holidays + life). I finally got a great electrician and he helped me get back on line. I bought a motor (Marathon 1.5 HP 240/120) from Grainger and today I finally got it wired up. I'm running 240V now and the mill is purring like a kitten.

For the record, the electrician told me the old motor was shot and switching it over to 240V would only have prolonged the death march. I hated spending the $$ on a new motor but now that it's behind me, the new setup should last as long as I do and I'm very happy.

IMG_20200217_170046.jpg

Thanks to all for your responses and support. Hope I can return the favor some day!

Hi all - I know it's been just about forever since I last responded on this thread but long story short, I wanted to get a real electrician in to help me and that took time (holidays + life). I finally got a great electrician and he helped me get back on line. I bought a motor (Marathon 1.5 HP 240/120) from Grainger and today I finally got it wired up. I'm running 240V now and the mill is purring like a kitten.

For the record, the electrician told me the old motor was shot and switching it over to 240V would only have prolonged the death march. I hated spending the $$ on a new motor but now that it's behind me, the new setup should last as long as I do and I'm very happy.

View attachment 313970

Thanks to all for your responses and support. Hope I can return the favor some day!

Sometimes I love the internet. This is what’s it’s all about, people helping each other with their knowledge and experience. Well done everyone

Back