A Little Mistake This Morning

In my experience you end up sitting on in too long but I used butane and didnt really enjoy the process. I'm sure people get good at it. They say Map gas will get it there quicker. I just love tig welding aluminum to much to really worry about it. Once you solder that stuff on you cant weld the area. Seems to make a pretty strong joint though.
In the case of my part, getting there quicker probably wouldn't have been a good idea. :) On heavy sections the extra heat might be helpful though.
I've used MAP on silver brazing where the part was heavy enough to need it.

One of the reasons I decided to try this stuff is that I don't know how to weld. I think this stuff is good: I just need to improve my technique.

Seeing as this is a machining forum, not a welding forum i will have to suggest the part be made out of one homogenous block of aluminum with intersecting drill holes ;-)

Seeing as this is a machining forum, not a welding forum i will have to suggest the part be made out of one homogenous block of aluminum with intersecting drill holes ;-)
If I had a mill, I would have done that.

In the case of my part, getting there quicker probably wouldn't have been a good idea. :) On heavy sections the extra heat might be helpful though.
I've used MAP on silver brazing where the part was heavy enough to need it.

One of the reasons I decided to try this stuff is that I don't know how to weld. I think this stuff is good: I just need to improve my technique.
When welding a common technique to battle heat soak and the related issues is to heat up the part to the required temperature as fast as possible.

If I had a mill, I would have done that.
i hope you realized i was kidding around right? It made me think about doing it as one piece in a four jaw. After thinking about it I decided to practice my Tig welding more.

i have used that aluminum “welding” rod before. With a small part like that i think if i blinked, id wonder where it went.

IMG_1323.jpeg

So here's Rev. 2, machined from 416 stainless instead of aluminum, and silver brazed together. I'll have to practice
my aluminum brazing but not on parts that matter.

Back