A little OT

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
This is not a machine tool part, but it never hurts to ask, right?

I am working on a light cart (portable genset with mast mounted flood lights). It's a Magnum Nightbuster.

The thing is old enough that the lights themselves are considered obsolete as far as the factory and the distributors I have contacted are concerned. Anyway, I've fixed a number of issues with it and got it to run and generate, and light up.....now I am needing to find the tempered glass rounds and circular clamps that retain the glass. I need all 4 for this thing. I don't know of any "junkyards" for this type of equipment have had no success sourcing the parts. I did experiment with a piece of supposedly high temperature plastic, but it was not capable of handling the heat. These are HID 1000 watt lamps and get quite hot. Regular glass won't work. I found a place that I can get the glass cut, and it's not totally unreasonable, so I may be ok getting the glass replaced from there. But I have no means of rolling the profile on the retaining rings, and not much interest in building a ring roller just for this job. I might end up doing just that, but I'd rather be able to simply buy 4 of them if I could. I just don't have the time to add another project right now.

So if anyone knows of a dead one somewhere that has the retaining rings, I'd love to hear about it. Oh, and these are the older, round style lights, about 18" diameter at the glass. The newer fixture are more oval shaped. They aren't strictly used on that brand......most all of the light carts use the same fixtures. I know where one is sitting I can get access to for the proper profile, which I will go ahead and do in case I decide to build a ring roll. Otherwise I may just fashion some clips of some sort to retain the glass. It's supposed to protect the users underneath from exploding lamps, absorb some of the UV, and most of all I believe to keep rain off the hot lamps. Otherwise I'd just put some hardware cloth guards on it and call it good.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Thanks for the link. I may let them quote me on 4 of them if they have something that will work for me.

Back