A little turn mill project I started getting some progress on.

There are many variables that can impact the maximum RPM of a chuck. First is diameter, second is material, third is balance, fourth is quality of the material. If you go beyond the tensile strength of the metal, it WILL come apart. If it becomes out of balance, parts of the lathe or other machine can get destroyed along with the chuck, flying in directions beyond radially. Cast iron has a MUCH lower tensile strength than steel does. A 2" steel chuck may be perfectly happy at 6500 RPM, but I would not want to be in the same neighborhood as a 6" or larger cast iron chuck turning 6500 rpm. I know how to do the math to determine the radial loading, but do not know the diameter or tensile strength of YOUR chuck. Please be extremely careful. When you modify machinery, you become the test pilot. Ask yourself, and answer honestly, if you have the skills, knowledge, and mindset to be safe pursuing the project at hand.

A very good explanation. The mind has a hard time processing force, centrifugal force especially.

Chuck

Back