A Mill "Transmission" For The New Rockwell Mill

I finished up the table handles today, after making the 3 handle adapters. I then did some more mill clean up, then started the shop clean up. I had used almost all the machines in the shop and had swarf from one end to the other.

While I was at it, I did some serious rooting and ended up throwing away 3 huge bags of stuff. Somehow the shop looks cleaner, but with the stuff thrown away, I expected to see some more room in the MAchinery Closet, but to no avail.

I getting ready for a week of work in Vermont, installing a burner on a boiler in a dorm at a college in Northern Vermont. A tiny burner, but the job start to finish is 5 days. With two new minions, this could be a struggle.

1 - the mill
2 - new handles
3 - vise
4 - vise and the ER32 x R8 collet chuck
rockwell 2 001x.jpg rockwell 2 006x.jpg rockwell 2 009x.jpg rockwell 2 012x.jpg

The temporary motor bracket, the Mark 1, it just slides onto the ram post, held in position by (2) 8mm x 20mm full dogpoint set screws, that set into the keyway groove, for the tramming drive collar. I'm working on other design concepts. Not really sure which way to go. I like the concept of the increased number of speeds, the correct motor drive sheave/pulley, will be here, by Thursday. I wanted to get the mill powered, to check out the head assembly, sounds great.

5 - new handles
6 - all folded up
7 - temporary motor bracket
8 - the controlsrockwell 2 013x.jpg rockwell 2 021x.jpg rockwell 2 023x.jpg rockwell 2 026x.jpg

TURNED out great , looks nice with the new handles . I'm gonna use er collets on my mills , my enco has r8 but I'm working from a wheelchair and there pretty high for me . I also have an atlas horizontal mill , with the 2 morse adapter for er32 on both ill only need the one size.. but a couple of each in popular sizes. Good luck glad it's coming out so well. Nice vise to looks bigger then 4" good luck with it too.

I worked on the mill today, the people at work have kept be busy. Making and then remaking a burner adapter (was told that the plate was 14" x 14", but apparently the minion can't read a tape rule, as it was really 17" x 17"), a 12" stack damper and a few other parts. So I had no time for the mill.

As I finished up the stack damper on Friday night, it was time to get back to the mill. I changed the motor drive sheave/pulley and then checked the speeds through the sheave combinations, low is now 85 rpm and the max is 5893 rpm, much more usable, than the original combination.

I work on the table and knee adjustments, got them to move very smoothly and with very little backlash.

The 4" Shars vise, I got, is very nice. I'm still waiting for Grizzly to actually ship me the correct t-nuts. Between mills, rotary tables, drill presses, and other equipment, I have 9 different size t-nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back