A Millersville Student Engine

They are being run on compressed air, but steam would work as well. On average about 20-30 pounds. We test them at the end of the semester and it's always fun to see whose will run on the least amount of air. I had a technology education major a few years ago that did an exceptionally nice job on her engine. We got it to keep running down at only three pounds of air. She had never used a machine tool of any kind before taking the class and produced not only the best functioning engine, but also the best finished.

It would be interesting to learn more about the Millersville program/curriculum. Is it a vocational school, industrial arts, other? Associated with a university?
Its a regular university, part of Pennsylvania's system of higher education.

I wish they had this back when I was there. Learning Cobal, Fortran, Dbase, & multiplan was a waste.

Last edited:
What, if any, upgrades were done on those lathes before they were put into service (tapered bearings, metal gears, etc).

The lathes in our program are pretty much stock from LMS. I did put the tweaks and enhancement kits into them after receiving them and also added brass gib strips but that is about all. They have held up well in the four years that we have had them and typically have about a 100 students a semester working with them.

For other people's benefit, the upgraded Brass Gibs for the 7350 lathe is LMS part number 3843. They are also the same part for the 12/14/16 Sieg SC2/SC3 lathes (to the best of my understanding).

Back