A mini-lathe boring tale

Could use a 6, 8 & 12 for some projects coming up. Tooling acquisition never seems to end!
I'm not out in my shop but seems like I remember getting some 8mm reamers from sdelivery (real nice quality ones) for cheap in our site stuff for sale section a couple months back. Might be worth a look to verify sizes with him.
Jim

Could use a 6, 8 & 12 for some projects coming up. Tooling acquisition never seems to end!
I'm not out in my shop but seems like I remember getting some 8mm reamers from sdelivery (real nice quality ones) for cheap in our site stuff for sale section a couple months back. Might be worth a look to verify sizes with him.
Jim
Thanks for the tip. I will check that out.

Installed all the parts save for the 45T gear. It is held on by a circlip. Don't know where I stashed the special pliers in the garage. And I don't have a spare clip, so I need to put a rag over it when I pull it. I'll do that later. Made sure that B/C bushing was oiled!

Back to boring. Finally. Starting to get a nicer finish with a 0.005" DOC and a slightly larger bore. Now it looks like turned steel, rather than frosty stuff.

Last edited:
The proper oil is your friend. Grease not so much. I don't use my lathe that much. So I oil everything every time I use it. For clean up I have found mineral spirits works really good. I keep some in a spray bottle. Seems to help get swarf and chips out of places you don't want it. Then oil everything after I am done with the mineral spirits.

Back