A new Bridgeport and phase converter - what have I got myself into?

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well the BP vertical machining center is only new to me - a 4 axis machine made in 1998. I witnessed it run (it sounded fine) and I have had all the covers off - so far everything looks good. The power requirement were more than my venerable RPC (referred to around here as "the howling monster"), so this project triggered the jump to a PhasePerfect. The project to get things running has been in the works for several months, and today was the day to power it up. I have exactly zero experience with anything CNC - I was able to get everything to move back & forth, up & down and round & round.

In-spite of having lots of time on manual machines - I am feeling pretty intimidated by the whole CNC side of things. The control is called DX-32, which BP used on a number of their products - though I understand it was not very common and isn't used on any new machines. Perhaps in a year I'll be wishing I had a Tormach or some such machine? Right now I'm just stoked that I managed to get lights, movement and no smoke!

The power upgrade cost more than the VMC & tooling, but it will be nice to retire the rotary converter, which has served me very well for the past 35 years.

If there are any DX-32 users here on HM, I'd love to hear from them.

David

DSCF9777.JPG

DSCF9778.JPG

Is your old rpc balanced or just a simple 3ph motor wired to provide the 3rd phase? Just curious. Thanks
And good luck with the new machine!

The old RPC is a commercially made product from Willett ("Add-a-phase"). I don't know if it is balanced. It uses a start capacitor and small contactor to get it running, and then there are about 6 good sized run capacitors (does that mean it is balanced?).

The old RPC is a commercially made product from Willett ("Add-a-phase"). I don't know if it is balanced. It uses a start capacitor and small contactor to get it running, and then there are about 6 good sized run capacitors (does that mean it is balanced?).
Yes, it is balanced. I was asking because my rpc is just a motor with manual switches. I was curious. Thanks

Congratulations on your "new to you" CNC. I just bought a machining center myself :) But I sure wish I had a 4th axis like you do.

I went with a 25hp RPC and I'm in it for right at $800. Got a new motor with shipping off ebay for $500 and bought the phase converter panel for $279. Works perfectly and the motor is amazingly quite.

Last edited:
Guess I'll be getting into all this soon enough. Pics would sure be nice. I have a 10hp RPC for my mill - but haven't hooked it up yet.

Back