A New Ellis 1600 Bandsaw Gets a New Home

Great, thanks again. So just so long as the saw is making chips at a slow pace for ten min. I should be good?

A piece of art right up to the big Ellis stenciled across it. To me, that makes it look cheap. A discreet badge would be nicer.

Just my opinion, of course.

Great, thanks again. So just so long as the saw is making chips at a slow pace for ten min. I should be good?

Here maybe this will help. Here is a link to Ellis's website page that explains it.

Blade Break-In

Welcome to the Ellis club! I bought mine last year. Moving up from a 4x6 as I did, your really going to love this saw. It's a big step up in performance and capacity.

I had to adjust my guide bearings initially not because it wasn't cutting straight, but it was making a peculiar noise. Other than that, mine has been great for the year I have owned it. The only other thing I have done to mine is to add wheels to the front to make it easier to move. It's supposed to be portable in its current state but unless your built like JJ Watt, it's nothing you will want to move on a regular basis. These things are heavy.

You will also want to make some clamps to help secure short pieces of stock. Even with 2 vices anything shorter than about 10" is hard to hold. Here is a pic of the ones I made.
IMG_5743.JPG

I got the idea from a guy named Ray on another forum. I use them all the time. The trick is finding some round 6" or 7" diameter pipe with a thick enough wall. I had to purchase an 18" section so I now have a lifetime supply.

Awesome idea on the pipe hold downs, I was going to sell my vise that came with the saw maybe I'll keep? Do you have any pictures of your front wheels, sounds like those mike come in handy.. :)

Pete

Definitely keep the extra vise. It comes in handy for holding short or odd shaped stock. It's easy to remove which you will need to do if cutting angles. I will look for pics of the wheels. They were a must for me.

Yeah, I know my little 1100 is a beast to move and I even made a longer handle. Make sure the head is up to move the center of gravity to the back also. I really think they could move the wheels a little farther forward to help.

BSS1, great idea on the clamp. I think I can come up with a similar arrangement with out the expense of a special pipe. I know I also need to design and build a stop.

Thanks BSS1 and Randy, both front wheels and a stop will come in real handy. Let me know what you come up for a stop Randy, I had made one for my cold saw but I sold it with the saw.

Pete

Back