A New Ellis 1600 Bandsaw Gets a New Home

Bss1 if you have more of that pipe you might want to try and cut a v in one side of those for doing round stock? Might have to make a slightly thick pair?

Ok I found some pics of my wheel set up. My concoction is probably more than what is needed but it works wonderfully and I didn't have to drill or weld anything on the saw. It is secured using the front foot mounts. At the time, I scoured the internet looking for pics of someone else's wheel mod and couldn't find any.

When my saw was delivered, one of my rear plastic wheels was broken. I couldn't find a 10" replacement to match the other damaged one so I bought I think a pair of 12" wheels for the back. This raised the saw height which I liked and made for more ground clearance under the front feet for more mobility. I started with a 2 wheel carriage set up, then added a third center wheel to balance the load. I don't think the third center wheel is necessary but I had one on hand and it's somewhat belts and suspenders. I also mounted wheels to the small stock stand that are threaded for height adjustment. I have been really pleased with it. It took some effort to make sure the base was leveled before the wheel brackets were welded up but it is level and wheels around the shop and out on to the driveway on occasion with no problem whatsoever.

Since completing this mod I saw some pics posted by Paco that show a much simpler mod that may be a better way to go.

IMG_4812.JPG
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4836.JPG
IMG_4837.JPG

Oh and here is a pic of the factory stop that is part of the stock stand that may give you some ideas to make your own.
IMG_5026.JPG

Sweet saw Pete! My 1800 has not missed a beat since 2005 and it lives outside :(. If you plan on cutting to its maximum, you should level it during use (not resting on front castors) IMO.

Thanks Paco! :)
Hope you put some sun block on that 1800 that AZ. UV is wicked. lol My brother and sister in-law came to our cabin in northern Michigan in July for a week, their also from AZ. temps were in the low 80's up there. They were loving it. hahaha After seeing some of your stands you have made for some much heavier equipment I will most definitely keep that in mind on the leveling legs. Thanks for the heads up..

Pete

Hey Brad,
Finally got around to adding a set of 3" castors to my saw a couple of weeks ago, I had back surgery last Monday the 22nd and sure glad I added them. I ended up just using two castors rather than three like you did on yours and added some small leveling legs as my garage floor is not the flattest. I still need to shim the bottom plate towards the front to bring the vertical portion of the mount flush with the saws leg, but the way it currently sets it is so much easier to move around even thou my Neurosurgeon said I shouldn't be lifting anything over 10lbs for a month! Just wanted to say thanks for getting back to me after I messaged you for info on them. :)
Pete

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_123542237.jpg
    IMG_20190728_123542237.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190728_123554270.jpg
    IMG_20190728_123554270.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20190728_123634286_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190728_123634286_HDR.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 140
Last edited: